Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira Align - Flow Metrics

Rafi Ahmad May 2, 2022

Hi Community. 

Wondering how can I report / retrieve data related to flow metrics : Epic/Capability/Feature lead time, throughput, Cycle time, Quality or say return on investment. Is there anyone who has been able to implement or retrieve such metrics out of Jira Align without using or buying additional connector/plugin. 

Will appreciate the direction.

Thanks 

Rafi

1 answer

1 vote
Sam Tsubota
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 2, 2022

@Rafi Ahmad I wrote a community article on how to manually derive flow metrics from Jira Align views and reports. 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Align-articles/Measuring-the-Flow-of-Value-Using-Flow-Metrics/ba-p/1490534

Rafi Ahmad May 2, 2022

Thanks @Sam Tsubota , Should I assume sum of all avg. time from all active states on my end for avg. active time as I don't have just one state as on your example?

Also would you know how to retrieve info. about Quality or say return on investment etc. 

Rafi Ahmad May 2, 2022

ScreenshoKanban steps.JPG

Like Allan Maxwell likes this
Rafi Ahmad May 5, 2022

@Sam Tsubota  - Following up to check if you have an update for me

Sam Tsubota
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 5, 2022

@Rafi Ahmad Since you have multiple process steps in your process flow that represent active, you will probably need to take a sum of the average days of the active steps and then calculate the average. 

For quality, you can get that through Jira or if you have Jira bugs syncing with Jira Align stories you can filter the Story grid view by Type = Defect and see the count of stories. You can track ROI using a Key Result for an Objective which can be linked to features.

Rafi Ahmad May 8, 2022

@Sam Tsubota  - Thanks for the clarification. 

One a side note, I am hoping to put a power BI report for flow metrics together on a dashboard out fo Jira Align data which is backed up within our organization on a separate sql server database. what I am not sure is what is the data model or which coulmn sits under which table to fetch relevant data to calculate flow metrics. I am wanting to put a dashboard similar to this attachment so wondering how do I go about this, how do I know which tables to connect and which fetch column to fetch to put this dashboard together. Can you please help me out here or I can create a separate dedicated ticket (if you can share a link to crreate one).PBI - JA.JPG

Sam Tsubota
Atlassian Team
May 8, 2022

@Rafi Ahmad The best way to accomplish this is with Jira Align Enterprise Insights which is a data warehouse for Jira Align. You will be able to connect Power BI to Enterprise Insights. It has tables with the data you need to be able a dashboard with flow metrics. Do you have Enterprise Insights? 

Rafi Ahmad May 9, 2022

@Sam Tsubota  - We may not have enterprise Insights, I will still check. 

But as I said, Jira Align data is backed up, so if I know which are those tables an dattributes or which tables need to be joined up to fetch those flow metrics, I can try. Is this something you can help me with?

Sam Tsubota
Atlassian Team
May 9, 2022

@Rafi Ahmad Do you have an on-prem instance of Jira Align? It sounds like you do because if you have the cloud version you don't have the ability to backup your own data.  If you do have an on-prem instance, I won't be able to help you because I don't know the Jira Align database schema. Enterprise Insights transforms the data in the Jira Align database to make it easily consumable to build custom reports. 

Rafi Ahmad May 9, 2022

@Sam Tsubota - JA is in SAAS at our end. 

Sam Tsubota
Atlassian Team
May 9, 2022

@Rafi Ahmad You will need Enterprise Insights. You won't be able to access your Jira Align instance's database directly since you are on Jira Align cloud. 

Rafi Ahmad May 9, 2022

@Sam Tsubota Is Enterprise Insights a separate license, how do I get that to access JA data for custom reports?

Sam Tsubota
Atlassian Team
May 9, 2022

You have to purchase it separately. Reach out to your Atlassian enterprise advocate or partner to get more info and pricing.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events