Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Innovation & Planning Sprint in Jira Align

Mit I'm New Here Jul 21, 2021

Hi Team,

One of the clients have got a  unique way of managing their PI cadence. Through out the year, they have 6 delivery sprints (that map to 6 standard sprints being created as anchor sprints). At the end of the calendar year i.e. from December 2nd, they have got 1 innovation sprint (for 2 weeks) and then have got a period between mid-December and Jan first week, named as Planning & also uses this to take care of the Christmas shut down etc.

I had a question around the best way to configure this in Jira Align in a way that does not impact their PI velocity. Have got the following options

1. Create a PI with end date of the PI being the last day of the standard sprint i.e. end of 21.4.6 for e.g. & have a gap between end of 21.4 & start of 22.1 (commencing from January, next year)

2. Extend the dates of the last PI (21.4), create 6 standard sprints and 2 Innovation & Planning sprints (manually add 2 additional sprints with relevant dates and type = innovation & planning) to cover the period of 4-6 weeks

For option 2, I wanted to know

what are the implications I need to be aware of? i.e. if I were to create 2 sprints with the type as Innovations & Planning does that impact the historical PI velocity calculations?, - - does that mean that the teams in Jira will have to create those additional sprints or else the sync process would break?

1 answer

@Mit To make sure we understand your case correctly: Your client has currently configured 1 PI per calendar year which includes 6 sprints + 1 or 2 (up for debate) IP sprints? If so, how long are the 6 normal sprints?

I am happy to already give you an answer concerning the general question "Should there be breaks between sprint & pi timeboxes?"

The good practice from my point of view is to connect timeboxes without breaks. This means PI X ends and PI x+1 starts on the next day. That would also mean that the last sprint in PI X ends on the last day of the PI and the first sprint in PI X+1 starts the next day with the new PI.

I personally suggest to not divert from this pattern, even if there is a so called “shutdown”. The reason for this is that “making all work visible” is a key practice of working in an agile way and even during a shutdown, usually at least a limited amount of IT work is done. Additionally, the work usually normalizes over the course of a PI and across PIs since there are times in other PIs (if you follow the practice of having something about 4 PIs a year) where the velocity dips as well (summer holidays, around thanksgiving, around holidays,....).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Align

Helpful hints if you're rolling Align out to your entire enterprise

(Or, What to expect when you’re expanding.) Once you've completed your Jumpstart, or your initial assessment of Jira Align, you'll start to think about how you can roll it out to the rest of your e...

1,685 views 7 33
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you