Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to subdivide a program into two sub-products, each with their own backlog?

NCR_FRG June 24, 2022

I have a product that contains two sub-products.

Currently the backlog for both products is showing as one (we use Jira Align), and the subdivision of the backlog planning for each sub-product is being done offline via excel. However I would like to create two backlogs in Jira Align, separating out the work, but still showing both as belonging to the same program. 

Teams are allocated separately to each product, but follow the same sprints. It's worth noting that it's not as simple as 1 team, 1 backlog. We have multiple teams working on each of the two sub-products 

1 answer

0 votes
Allan Maxwell
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 24, 2022

One common solution is to use the Product functionality to assign each Feature to a Product (a hierarchical structure) and then you can filter most pages by Product ...including backlogs.  This has the advantage of also allowing use to use the Product Room.

Another option is Custom Hierarchies and Custom Rooms, but that's a longer answer.

NCR_FRG June 24, 2022

Thanks Allan. Apparently the way my product is set up, it appears to be a Product on the product dashboard as well as a program... If I click on Manage Product it tells me I don't have the ability to access this... so I might need your Custom hierarachies workaround, if you have time to walk me through it. 

Like Allan Maxwell likes this
Allan Maxwell
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 24, 2022

Even if you can't "manage" Products, you should still be able to filter by Product.  Your local admin should be able to get you access to manage Products and the Product Room.

Like NCR_FRG likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events