Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove user permission to change Jira Align states?

Velizar Borisov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2020

Hi everyone,

Typically, a bi-directional synchronization can be setup between Jira and Align. Administrators can select either to push changes from Jira to Align, from Align to Jira or having both.

We chose to use our Jira instance as the single source of truth, so we will need to disable the sync from Align to Jira. However, all we can do is just to break the connection in that direction.

Is it possible to remove user's permission to change states of work items in Jira Align? Probably sounds crazy, but if I just brake the sync from Align to Jira users will be confused as they expect to see no differences in work items in both tools.

Thanks,
Velio

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mark Cruth
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 16, 2020

Hi @Velizar Borisov ! 

If you're looking to prevent users from editing data in Jira Align (at least for items that sync from Jira like Stories and Features), the best way will be to make those objects read-only in Jira Align (for a Role, remove the permission to edit the object). Unfortunately Jira Align can't make some fields on an object editable (description, title) and others read-only (state)...it's all editable or all read-only.

Does that help? 

Mark

Velizar Borisov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2020

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the pretty fast response!

Your answer definitely help! However, I'm struggling to find the option to make objects read-only in the roles section. Can you please advise me were should I look?

And in addition, is it possible to make Stories and Epics read-only, but leave other objects editable? I guess it is, as in roles we have separated sections for them but had to ask.

Thanks again!
Velizar

Rae Gibbs
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 17, 2020

@Velizar Borisov When you go into the Admin console, go to the Program permissions and in there you will see a toggle for Features or Jira Epics.  You will see a main toggle along with additional toggles that control editing that item such as Add, Save and Delete.  Those would need to be turned off.  You can do the same for stories.  It is possible to make those read only while allowing other items to still be edited.

Mark Cruth
Atlassian Team
November 17, 2020

What @Rae Gibbs said :-) Here's a screenshot outlining what Rae described.

Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 11.48.45 AM.png

Velizar Borisov
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 17, 2020

Thank you guys, 

I've found those toggles as well, but I thought they are is separated one for Editing stuff around.

Will play around with them, thanks again!

Velizar

Mark Cruth
Atlassian Team
November 17, 2020

There is a "Save" toggle on these objects that allows the flexibility for people to be able to add a new Jira Epic/Feature but not make changes (this can be used for funnel purposes), but that's really the extent. If you really want real-only then just enabling the main toggle and turn off toggles like Delete, Add, and Save. That'll be your best approach :-)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events