Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to calculate a price for Jira Align?

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2021

Hi! 

We have in company ~1100 employees. 

Our instances are 2k tiers.

After looking into pricing model:

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/align/pricing

Looks like Jira Align a little bit expensive. 

But from functionality side it's need to management. Do I need to plan lower number of users  or not?

I am little bit confused with pricing model. 

Awesome community, please help me

Cheers,

Gonchik

2 answers

2 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2021

The pricing on Align is "fuzzier" than other Atlassian products.  This is mainly because Atlassian sell Align on a case by case basis, not a one-size-fits-all product. 

The unusual thing about Align when it comes to the tiers is the consideration of who is going to be using it.  If you look closely at the two columns of user types, you'll see there's a 1:4 ratio between "Align users" and "Integrated users"

What this really means is that Atlassian expect only 1 in 4 of your developers (in the very broadest sense of the word) to use Align in any depth.

Taking an example of a company I know uses it, they have around 8,000 employees, but only really half of them are in the part of the organisation doing Scaled Agile.  Of those 4,000, about 3,000 are actually developers, putting paws on keyboards, to turn out products, the other 1,000 are the layers above - the product owners, marketers, management etc.

The 3,000 turning out product are using Jira for tracking and planning.  On a day to day basis, they don't actually care about release trains, the delivery pipeline, value streams and so-on.  Stories arrive with them, they deal with each one and move on.  These are the "integrated users".  They will use Align when they need to, especially during PI planning.  They'll dip into it if they think there are things they need to know or maybe need to talk to someone far away from their team.  But day-to-day, they plan, sprint, reflect, repeat, or do kanban, or something in-between, and although their activity goes up to Align, and Align pushes data down to their Jiras, they don't really use Align much.

The remaining 1,000 do use Align, because they are doing the higher level stuff.

So, the way to get started with a price estimate is to look at either

The number of integrated users you need - which is how many developers (who mostly won't use Align and mainly plan and track in Jira)

The number of Align users you need - people doing the higher level stuff

You can then plumb one of those numbers into the page you've linked to for the estimate.

But, Atlassian have this estimated at 1:4 ratio - 1,000 Align users : 4,000 in the teams at every level.  This is not the right ratio for everyone.  The example I have talked about looks ideal, but that's because I have been very generous in rounding the real numbers.

And that's why I will give the very short version of the answer:

Ask the website for the number of users you have, either Align or Integrated, and then talk to Atlassian.  The website is a very broad estimate, not a fixed cost.

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2021

Thank you, that's fair enough.

Because I have posted after waiting a few days from website answer. 

And management wants to spend a money as soon as possible , and start to planning :)

Like # people like this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2021

Price is still high :) 

as integrated users can include external members from JSD. image.png

Requested a quota via next url

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/align#contact

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events