Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you capacity plan in JIRA Align for an ART who has teams using BOTH Kanban and Scrum boards?

laura_rich December 15, 2020

My ART includes 10 teams, of which 5 teams use JIRA scrum boards and 5 use JIRA kanban boards.  Regardless of scrum or kanban, all of the teams point their stories. Some of our kanban teams make each story point the same, since they look at WIP.  Other kanban teams may point their stories at different values, as they look at both WIP and points as additional context per story complexity.  

In JIRA Align, the kanban teams are not included in the Program Room "Team Progress" section.  Also, in the Program Allocation, Kanban teams show zero 'Points Planned' versus 'Points Accepted'.  The features are assigned to the Program Increment, and the child stories are linked to the feature.  There does not seem to be a way to associate the stories to the sprints for the kanban teams. 

Is there a way to make 'Points Accepted' calculate the completed points from the kanban teams by date boundaries? Velocity could be calculated also.

Screenshot example attached here from the Program Allocation screen showing a scrum team (Blackbird) versus a kanban team (Cloud Common Platform).program_allocation.JPGAlso, in the Capacity Planning section of JIRA Align, the kanban teams are not included.  The drop-down only shows sprints for scrum teams. 

How should I use JIRA Align to holistically capacity plan for an ART that includes both scrum and kanban teams?  Or do we have to make all teams in the ART to switch to scrum boards?  

1 answer

1 vote
Mark Cruth
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 9, 2021

@laura_rich - thanks for the question and I apologize it's taken so long to get an answer back to you. Long story short, there is not a ton of capacity planning functionality available to Kanban Teams in Jira Align (as you can see). Much of capacity planning is based on "Agile Teams" in Jira Align that have a construct of a sprint. In my experience, for Kanban Teams I typically identify their Average Throughput (# of Stories Completed) from their Team screen (see screen below) and then have to do some manual gymnastics to project out capacity for a planning period (e.g. quarter/PI). On the Program Board Jira Align will project out delivery dates for stories (in week) based on priority order of the backlog, but that's about it. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 5.35.07 PM.png

There is a lot to be desired around Kanban Teams in Jira Align. I would recommend submitting new improvement ideas for Kanban Teams to the Jira Align idea portal so the Jira Align Product Managers can prioritize the work: https://ideas.jiraalign.com

I hope this helps (a little)!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events