Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Epic & Feature Forecasts Oddly Independent

Stephanie Davis June 10, 2024

We are deep into our forecasting cycle for next quarter (using the Forecast module) and it's our first time trying to forecast at the Feature/Team level.  Previously we forecasted at the Epic/Team level only.  We were under the assumption that forecasting at the Feature/Team level would roll up to the Epic/Team level but that does not appear to be the case.  It looks like no matter whether you add your forecasts to the Forecast sheet or to the Forecast tab they are completely independent of each other.  That doesn't make much sense to me so I'm checking in here to see if I'm missing something.  If this is true, then is the Forecasted Spend calculated off the Epic or Feature forecasts?

1 answer

0 votes
Steve Sauser
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 10, 2024

@Stephanie Davis Thank you for the question.  

First thing to know is that you can "Sum" your Team level Forecast to the Feature by using the Sum and Sum All buttons within the Feature itself.  You are not required to do so (not all customers want to Sum up the Story efforts to understand the Feature effort).  

Additionally below is the logic of how we calculate Forecasted Spend (I gave you Accepted, Estimated and Forecasted): 

1. Accepted Spend:

1. Calculated by adding together the spend of stories related to the feature, capability, or epic.

2. Based upon effort point estimates from accepted child stories.

2. Estimated Spend

1. Feature: Calculated by multiplying the feature estimate by its program's Spend per Point.

2. Capability/Epic: Calculated by adding together all the feature estimations (Spend per Point) related to this capability or epic.

3. Based upon feature estimates, entered on the main tab of a feature's Details panel. 

1. Note: Feature Forecast flows back to the Details panel when the Sum All is selected for the Planning Interval Estimate.

3. Forecasted Spend (Epic, Capability, Feature)

1. Calculated by multiplying each program forecast by its program Spend per Point.

2. Based upon the program PI estimates entered on the Forecast tab of an epic, capability, or Feature.

1. Note: Feature Forecast flows back to the Details panel when the Sum All is selected for the Planning Interval Estimate.

Regarding Forecasted Spend ...

• If an Epic is forecasted at 3 MW for Team A and 2 MW for Team B for the PI for a total of 5 MW and includes two Features ...
    • Feature 1 is estimated at 3 MW for Team A
    • Feature 2 is estimated at 2 MW for Team B

Will the Forecasted Spend calculation use 5 MW or double count and use the 5 MW at the Epic level and the 5 MW at the Feature level for 10 MW?

I did a quick experiment and confirmed that the Forecasted Spend calculations are completely independent as well, so no double counting.

What was the thinking around designing this so that there is no roll up of Feature forecasts to Epic forecasts?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events