Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anybody know how to use Horizon Percentages in Snapshots?

rateodoros October 14, 2021

In Jira Align on the Snapshot form we have a Horizon percentage distribution. But what is that used for? Which report? Which gadget? Is it in Strategy room? Any clues?

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 11.28.02.png

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Tina Behers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2021

@rateodoros 

Assuming you've got all of the setup correct - and all Epics for the portfolio are aligned to a strategic horizon, this report WILL show you the actual spend (based team cost per sprint- note that sprints must be closed to affect this calculation- ) against the estimated funding made in the snapshot over each PI.  It will also total for the programs using the same method.

Short answer - AFAIK the Strategic horizon does not come into play on this or any other current report in Jira Align.  

@Tom O_Connor Did I miss one? two?  :D 

Hope that helps.. 

Tina Behers

rateodoros October 19, 2021

Great, Tina. Thanks, the short answer was exactly what I needed. You rock!

Tina Behers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2021

Happy to help! 

0 votes
Tom O'Connor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 15, 2021

@rateodoros the concept of this is based on McKinsey's horizon budgeting that SAFe has adopted.  

As you set the budget and associate the PIs (how we plan to deliver the value), you have the ability to break that out through the budgetary tracking page, the budget allocation by PI and program.  

https://help.jiraalign.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005247387-10X-Budgetary-Tracking

There is more to this functionality and where the data can be used.  This is one of the areas we cover in the Expand To Portfolio service offering which would walk your organization through how to best setup and use this functionality in Jira Align. 

https://www.scaledagileframework.com/lean-budgets/

rateodoros October 15, 2021

Hi, @Tom O_Connor ! Thanks for the answer, that's nice to know about the McKinsey's concepts.

I'm working right now with portfolio expansion mainly using Funding Plan report shown in the documentation 10X-Budgetary-Tracking.

However I don't see how horizon percentages affects the snapshot funding. Was it expected to affect the funding plan?

Or the percentages are just used to register how much of the budget is going to each horizon as an information?

Screen Shot 2021-10-15 at 11.19.42.png

Like Shane Gallen likes this
Shane Gallen March 3, 2022

I would also like to understand what impact these horizons throughout your reporting in Jira Align

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events