Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did there use to be an initiative level objective? Has that been removed?

Ann Bouvier August 4, 2020

Looks like the objective tied to an initiative functionality no longer works in Jira Align. Has anyone else experienced this?

I thought there were 4 types of objectives?  There are only 3 now.  

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mark Cruth
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 4, 2020

Hi Ann!

To add onto what Tom and Jesse mentioned, one other place to check is the modal that controls where Objectives map to work items (e.g. Initiative, Epic, Feature)...which is called the Objective Mappings modal :-D You can get to this through the following path (it's kind of hidden)...

Administration > Setup > Portfolios > (select the Portfolio in question) 

When on the edit screen of the Portfolio, you'll see "Objective Mappings" as a link in the right column. When you click on that link a modal will appear that will allow you determine how Objectives map to work items. 

Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 9.13.55 PM.png

Not sure if this will solve your issue or not, but based on all the answers to this question I'm hoping you'll be well equipped to hunt down the issue. Let us know what you find and if we can help more!

Mark

Tom O'Connor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 4, 2020

@Mark Cruth thanks for the reminder about the new Objective Mappings settings!

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jesse Pearlman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 4, 2020

Ann,

When it comes to terminology in Jira Align, it can be changed by the admins. 

When you say that you had an Initiative functionality are you referring to a menu option from the Portfolio Menu?

If so that object name may have just been changed; it's often that the Theme object gets renamed to Initiative.   Always look in the menu to see if the option is there but the name has changed.

Otherwise it may be your system role permissions were changed and you no longer have access to that menu function.

As you can see, it's a bit tricksey to answer this question due to the variables of terminology and system role.

Any details you can add will certainly help in figuring our what has happened.

Thanks

0 votes
Tom O'Connor
Atlassian Team
August 4, 2020

The menu option never had the Solution level objective (or whatever you named or defined that level in Jira Align).  So if you search on "objectives" from the menu search you will only see the 3 levels.  However when you add an objective, the dropdown "objective type" still shows the 4 levels.  Currently the dropdown is not controlled by portfolios that have the solution layer turned off or on.  

Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 3.33.07 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-04 at 3.32.52 PM.png

Tom O'Connor
Atlassian Team
August 4, 2020

And as @Jesse Pearlman mentioned, that at least the Portfolio, Program and Team objectives can be turned off/on by role.  Hope this helps @Ann Bouvier 

Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 3.38.17 PM.png

Ann Bouvier August 6, 2020

one more question around this.  We have updated the objective to be train level.  I see the objectives on my board now at the top.  If I then filter to see by Epic, the objectives are no longer there.  Is that by design?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events