Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Align States w/o JIRA Status Equivalents

Mark Slater May 6, 2020

Is there a way we can build Feature states in Align to groom/manage Features as scope is further defined but before the Feature moves to "Pending Approval" and gets connected with a development teams JIRA queue?

The use case would be something like Submitted > In Review > Verified (as having enough scope) > Planning > In Approval (at which point it integrates with JIRA) > Ready to Start > etc

3 answers

3 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rich Sparks
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 7, 2020

Mark, I think we can meet your needs using Development Value Streams in Align. We can set up a value stream to include the steps you laid out (Submitted > In Review > Verified (as having enough scope) > Planning > In Approval (at which point it integrates with JIRA) > Ready to Start > etc) And we can map those interim steps into the specific Align states.

For example, all the steps before "Ready to Start" might map to the Align state "Pending Approval". Once it gets to Ready to Start, you can send the Feature to Jira by specifying which Jira project it goes to.

You can set up separate value streams for Epics, Capabilities (which most don't use), and Features and designate which Programs (or Planning Groups) use the value stream. Every team in the same Program (or Planning Group) has to use the same value stream. Most companies I work with try to get to one consistent development value stream.

You can read more about Development Value Streams here: https://agilecrafthelp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000104293-10X-Create-Value-Streams

Mark Slater May 7, 2020

@Rich Sparks

This was very helpful! I believe we have a viable solution and will reach out if we have questions.

Thanks to all to provided feedback. It is very much appreciated. 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jessica Wolfe
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 7, 2020

Hey Mark, 

Let me make sure I understand the question.  You want features (Jira Epics) to be created and "made ready" in Jira Align before they show up in Jira?

If this is the case, you can leverage value streams in Jira Align and not add the Jira Project until the feature is "ready".  This way you can have the steps you've outlined above and map those to the that first state in Jira Align (which then gets mapped to the jira status once integrated).

Let me know if this makes sense or if you'd like some more details around how this can be done.

Kind Regards,

Jess Wolfe

Jessica Wolfe
Atlassian Team
May 7, 2020

This article might be able to help put into perspective the use of Jira Align value streams with Jira Align states with Jira Statuses as well! https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Align-articles/Governance-Autonomy-Yes-you-CAN-do-that/ba-p/1294940

Like Peter Jessen likes this
Jessica Wolfe
Atlassian Team
May 7, 2020

Here is one more really great article that talks about how all the states/statuses can work together https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Align-articles/Mapping-States-Steps-and-Statuses-between-Jira-Align-and-Jira/ba-p/1354724

Like Peter Jessen likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Peter Jessen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2020

Hi @Mark Slater,

As of now, the states in Align for all work objects (theme, epic, capability, feature, story, sub-task, etc.) are fixed and unchangeable.

This is to ensure that all of the work rolls up accurately.

I suggest you submit an enhancement into the Ideation Portal.

Regards,
Peter

Mark Slater May 6, 2020

Thanks, Peter. Does this mean that there are no "pre-approval" statuses available outside of Pending Approval? Out of curiosity, while not my primary concern, how then would a Product Manager mark a Feature as a duplicate or not applicable anymore w/o at least a termination state like that. Apologies if this is all basic, we are just standing up our instance of Align and are trying to adapt as best we can. 

Peter Jessen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2020

Hi @Mark Slater,

That is correct. Pending Approval is the pre-approval status.

Ready To Start indicates the Product Manager/Product Owner and the team believe the feature is ready for development.

Regarding the duplication/termination issue, Jira Align has advanced functionality (limited by role) to drop and/or cancel features. I recommend you meet with your implementation team or internal Align champions to learn more on how or if you are using that functionality.

You can read more about canceling items in the article 10X: Cancel Items.

Assuming you are using Jira, you can use a cancel/abandon state in Jira to make sure those features are moved to the cancel bin or the recycle bin in Jira Align. This is mapped/implemented in Jira Align's Admin portal under Jira Setup.

Regards,
Peter

Mark Slater May 6, 2020

That helps. I am part of the implementation team at our site and we're working through as many challenges/concerns as quickly as possible. Based on our Align SME conversations thus far, we were assuming our product managers would be able to work in Align only (and therefore not have to pivot to JIRA to cancel/abandon Features). We will work with our Atlassian IA to explore options.

Peter Jessen
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2020

Hi @Mark Slater ,

@Jessica Wolfeand @Rich Sparks (below) are spot on with Developmental Value Streams/Process steps. I completely forgot about that approach. even though I've implemented it multiple times.

Regards,

Peter

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events