Creating a Jira Service Account with Groups and Permission Schemes for Jira Align

One way to create a Jira Service Account (to use with Jira Align) with the correct permissions is to first create a group and assign it the correct permission scheme.

1. Navigate to Administration > User management > Groups.

2. Add group. In the example, I used "jira-service-acct" as the Group Name.

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 9.52.25 AM.png

3. Navigate to Administration > Issues > Permission Schemes.

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 9.53.00 AM.png

4. Click Add permission scheme.

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 9.53.10 AM.png

5. Grant the permissions according to this chart. 

image.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 9.53.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 9.53.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 9.54.05 AM.png

6. Navigate to Administration > User management > Users. Click Create user.

Note: For Jira Cloud, this window will ask you to Invite Users as opposed to creating them.

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 9.55.25 AM.png

7. Navigate to Administration > User management > Groups. Click Edit members next to your Jira Service Account Group name.

8. Type in the Service Account username in the Add members to selected group(s) field and click Add selected users.

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 9.57.05 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-08 at 9.56.39 AM.png

Additional Materials

Jira and Jira Align Integration: Creating an API Service Account 

4 comments

Rodrigo Cortez
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 9, 2021

Excellent write up!

Like James McCulley likes this
Hina Tufail September 15, 2022

Hi @James McCulley 

Thank you for this excellent article ! It was very helpful.

I still need a few precisions about that Service Account :

- Does it have to be a Jira Administrator or a non admin account with "Admin projects" rights on the relevant projects is sufficient ?

- Also, does it have to be a "Super Admin" in Jira Align to make it work properly ?

Many thanks.

Kind regards,

Hina Tufail

Gunjan Kishor Mota September 20, 2022

Hello,

Excellent article ! It was very helpful just adding 1 point After Step4 ,

We have to add name and description for account and than add permissions as mention above.

Regards,

Gunjan Mota

Like Allan Maxwell likes this
Shafi G
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 5, 2024

@James McCulley  i am kind of confuse, we have Jira and JiraAlign both. I have been asked to create a service account in Jira and forwarded this writeup for the help. Accordingly, i created group and then assigned permissions to the group. Then added existing admin members to this group. But don't know if i also have to have additional account created in Jira that i need to add into this group that i have created so that particular account can be used for the Jira Align integrations? If yes, then do i have to also create same account with the email access /account so that we could receive emails on that? as creating user on the fly here would not actually going to get the emails. Raised a helpdesk ticket, but i could see helpdesk could not understand the question. 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events