How do I search by Issue Number?

Daryl Frewing November 6, 2011

I have a Jira issue referenced in some code I am working on. The project is "CU" and the issue number is "5335". I can search Jira by everything from what the favorite colour of the developer was to when the last time he/she went out for lunch (at least, it seems like the search includes so many possibilities that this would be possible), but I can't seem to search by just the issue number. What am I missing?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2011

You can use quick search and enter "5335" or "CU-5335" into the quick search box at the top right corner. You can also switch to the Advanced search mode and search for "issue = CU-5335".

Hope this helps!
Igor

Quick search didn't return any results. What did work was "id", "issue", and "issuekey" in the advanced tab.

Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2011

It will search within your "current" project, which I believe is the latest project you've opened (or an issue therein). To search for exact issue regardless of the current project, enter the full key - CU-5335.

Never mind. I was thinking that the box in the basic search tab was the "quick search" box. Now that I see the actual quick search box I must say that this is far easier than I thought. It does bring up another question, though...what happens when the same number is used in different projects? So CF-5335 and CU-5335? If I enter "5335" what would I get? (I havne't seen this case yet....but I'm told it is possible)

JonM August 2, 2019

We just had this issue trying to configure a filter of issues and "Key" allowed us to display the issue numbers (ABC-1234) in a column. This needs to be set in the Columns setting on the right.

Screen Shot 2019-08-02 at 7.38.25 AM.png

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 6, 2011

In the Advanced Searching, you can search id = 5335

Didn't work. I fiddled around with it and it seems to require the project and issue number. So, "id = 'CU-5335' worked.

Why is this in the advanced tab? I can't think of anything more basic. Either way, thanks for the help in figuring it out. I was starting to go crazy knowing that I had to be missing something. :)

Like Valtteri Maja likes this
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 6, 2011

The term id confused me! Issues have a unique id and a key. The id is a number field which is unique across the projects but key is a number preceded by project key. It is unique within project. You can use what Igor suggested for the key search ;)

Yeah, termanology when switching between two different systems can have quite different meanings. Sorry about the confussion.

Rozita Mirmotalebi September 2, 2016

how can I retrieve this id as field? 

Rajkumar Lechumanan July 15, 2019

hi can change the ticket number to date created & key

Suggest an answer