Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crucible Review does not show the Create sub-task button on a Code Review Comment

StuartC March 2, 2012

We are successfully using JIRA OnDemand with SVN and Crucible to create code reviews. It's all good, but ... we have never seen the Create issue/sub-task button appear in the code review comments that we generate for each other. Working carefully through the Administration pages and reading the material on the web hasn't yielded an answer. We're stumped. This is what we've done so far, but it has failed to enable the Create issue/sub-task button to appear within the code review comment widget in an active review.

1. We've enabled sub-tasks (Administration > Issues > Issue Types > Sub-tasks)
  2. We've checked that there is at least one type of subtask (Administration > Issues > Issue Types > Issue Types); there is one called "Technical Task"
  3. We are using the default permissions schemes (Administration > Issues > Projects > {our project})
  4. We've ensured that users can create issues (Administration > Issues > User Settings > Roles); never had a problem with this
  5. We've tested creating sub-tasks from the More Actions ... menu within an existing issue; again, no problem here
  6. We've ensured that we link an issue to a review when we create the review, plus we confirm that this issue in the Details that it still linked to the review after the review has been successfully created.

3 answers

0 votes
Sergey Svishchev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2013

Check that Subtask Resolution Action ID is not empty.

0 votes
StuartC March 2, 2012

I double checked that and the JIRA issue is listed in the Details window as a linked issue.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2012

Are sub tasks disabled in your Jira instance by any chance?

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Sub-tasks

StuartC March 2, 2012

I read through the material and went to Administration > Issues > Issue Types > Sub-Tasks

I see:

Sub-tasks are currently turned ON. You can manage ...

• Disable Sub-Tasks
  • Manage Sub-Tasks
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 2, 2012

Okay, next check, are you able to manually create a sub-task in Jira for that linked issue? Just to check your permissions.

StuartC March 2, 2012

Permissions seem okay. This is what I did based on your suggestion:

Issues > Create Issue

Then I filled in a reasonable set of fields in the form (it's the standard form out of the box from OnDemand). Once the I'd finished creating the issue, I navigated into the issue and went:

Move Actions > Create Sub-Task

I was taken to the Sub-Task form where I created a new Technical Task. That all worked - although the only Sub-Task type I can create is a Technical Task and when I expand the drop down list of task types in the Sub-Task creation dialog, it is empty. I would expect to at least see Technical Task listed. Perhaps the fact that it is listed as my selected choice for Sub-Task type keeps it out of the drop down list.

Back in the parent task I saw the new Technical Task listed. Then, to check things out further, I created a new Review, with the new parent issue (not the sub-issue) as the linked Issue. The Review got created and I made a code comment on a file, but once again the Create issue button did not appear in the inline comment.

One thought I've had is that the "Technical Task" sub-task is incompatible with whatever logic Crucible uses to determine whether to show or not show the Create issue from inline comment.

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 2, 2012

That reminds me, in your Crucible Jira configuration you would have specified the issue-type of the 'sub-task'. Is that issue type number matching that of the Technical Task (see the screenshot here)?

StuartC March 2, 2012

I am able to get to some of the steps (I've pasted them below for reference from the link you sent me) in OnDemand, but others don't appear to be available through the OnDemand administration menus. For example, steps 6 thru 8 (inclusive) are all available to me as the Administrator ... but through a slightly different path (Administration > Issues > Workflows > Workflows). That works okay.

But steps 2 thru 5 (inclusive) don't work in OnDemand -- at least I can't figure them out the OnDemand navigation. If I go to Administration > Reviews then I see three submenus:

• Review Defaults - the Configure link doesn't help
  • New Project Defaults -
  • Defect Classifications - the xml to control defect types and their statistics

This is odd, because I figured there would be somewhere in OnDemand where the internals of the Crucible - JIRA linkage are made visible, like they seem to be in the non-hosted version of JIRA / Crucible.

Perhaps it all comes to this gap -- the "issue type number match" that you mention

1. ...
  2. Return to the Crucible administration screen and click 'Application Links' under the 'Global Settings' menu in the left-hand navigation bar.
  3. Click 'JIRA settings' next to the application link for the required JIRA server. The 'Update JIRA Server' screen will appear.
  4. Click 'Test'. The field for 'Subtask Type ID' will change to a dropdown menu, showing the available subtask types. ... The field for 'Subtask Resolution' will also turn into a dropdown menu. Select the required item ... .
  5. Click 'Save'.
  6. Open your JIRA site and go to 'Administration' > 'Workflows'. The 'Workflows' screen ... is shown on screen in a table.
  7. Click the 'Steps' link in the far right table cell. The 'View Workflow Steps – JIRA' page appears.
  8. The 'Subtask Resolution Action ID' is in the 'Open' row, under the 'Transitions' column. Look at ... 'Resolve Issue'. The ID number is shown in brackets next to that heading 'Resolve Issue' (shown in the screenshot below as 5).
  9. ...

StuartC March 2, 2012

Thanks for all your help!

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 2, 2012

I am at loss what to check next. May be it's time to poke Atlassian via a support request.

May be a last check. This username that you are using to connect to Jira, is that account having permission on the project?

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 2, 2012

Is your review linked to the Jira issue in the details window?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events