Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you think would make the Atlassian Community more helpful?

Scott Grieder
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 11, 2017

Exploring Possibilities@2x.png

We're currently working on making it easier to use and track your community interactions without having to rely so heavily on email.  Most recently, we rolled out an activity feed and onsite notifications in response to feedback from people like you.

What other feature additions would you like us to consider and why?

For instance, "What features would you like to see on a personalized homepage?" 

Please share your thoughts or up vote ideas below!

13 answers

Suggest an answer

4 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 12, 2017

A feed into Stride, when that's available!

(Also a Stride place for champions and the more frequent answerers, but we've already asked Philippe for that and he's working on it )

pb
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 13, 2017

I think an integration with Stride would be super sweet. It's on my wish list as well.

4 votes
Ben Jansen
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 12, 2017

I would like to be able to perform product-specific searches. Adding the product name, e.g., bamboo, to the search appears to be insufficient to prevent irrelevant results about other Atlassian products.

Scott Grieder
Atlassian Team
October 12, 2017

Hi @Ben Jansen - Agree here too. There's too much product drift in our search experience right now. We need to improve this and have been experimenting with some filters that we think may help. We don't have a solid ETA on when something like this will be available, but it is a problem that we are working on solving. Thanks for your feedback. I'll give you an update when I have more info to share on this feature.

Tyler T
Atlassian Team
October 23, 2017

@Ben Jansen, you can track progress on that feature request here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/COMMUNITY-88

There is also some info on that Jira issue regarding manipulating the URL to get more product-specific search results

4 votes
Jeremy M
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 12, 2017

Dear Scott,

The activity feed works pretty well and I like that feature, however there is something that I would like to see added to it:

• When clicking the Icon, I would rather have a small preview of the last 4-5 notifications or so shown in the current page where I am. A fold out panel idea with a link ''Read More'' to get directed to the general page as it now is. Just so I will not have to browse to that page every time in order to check if there are important notifications for me.

Friendly Regards,

Jeremy

Scott Grieder
Atlassian Team
October 12, 2017

Thanks for your feedback @Jeremy M! Glad to hear that you are finding the activity feed useful. We agree with you about improving the preview experience. I think you'll be pleased when we roll out some updates soon. 

Jeremy M
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2017

@Scott Grieder

Awesome! Thanks to you and the team for the hard work! Interested to see the updates :-).

Jeremy M
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 23, 2017

@Scott Grieder

Good to see that it has been implemented! Keep going guys!

Friendly Regards,

Jeremy

3 votes
Susan Ostreicher
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 10, 2017

A minor suggestion - it would be nice to put more structure around the tags when someone creates a new post.  The Atlassian Support form handles this very well by requiring that you select a product or add-on.  That exact approach is probably too strict for Community, because people should still be able to ask about products they haven't purchased.  But at a minimum, I'd like to see a list of products and add-ons that I can tag, instead of having to start typing to find them.  And I think it's fair to require someone to specify whether their question is about Cloud, Server, or Data Center, or a combination.  Often it's not clear which version someone is asking about, and that can be frustrating for everyone because the answer often depends on the version.

Thanks for the recent improvements, and for asking for feedback!

3 votes
Josh October 18, 2017

I thought of another improvement.  I think it would be nice to have different 'tracks' on your community site, with the associated tutorials for each. 

So, for example maybe make a 'developer', 'jira-administrator', 'business analyst', 'jira-database-administrator', etc.   Then complete the paths with the most common questions taken from the community where people get stuck.  Give people badges for completion to add to their Atlassian profiles for these tracks.  Keep this information up to date, then people on the community can reference those paths first.  Maybe even organize answers not just according to the product but tie it into what pathway it would fall under. 

This would give you a single place to keep the most up to date information, show badges so that other community members can see what you've completed, and also give out more badges /  credit to those who help the most.  These could be displayed on LinkedIn or somewhere else if the person wanted for bragging rights.  Also you could tie into it any other Atlassian certification tests or so on.  I think that would help make more of a community feel here, and you could even make a personal profile section where the person could store more information about themselves, and maybe even their favorite links or blogs.

Scott Grieder
Atlassian Team
October 18, 2017

Thanks Josh - This is a really good idea. We've actually been discussing similar types of things recently.

We recently started assembling a "New to JIRA" collection, that could easily be broken down further into a much more robust program like you are describing.  Thanks for the feedback! 

Cristian Rosas [Tecnofor]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2017

I'm with @Josh here. It could be a very awesome improvement.

Is it possible right now to use the name of the company as a title? As Atlassian partners, that would be useful.

Scott Grieder
Atlassian Team
November 14, 2017

Thanks @Cristian Rosas [Tecnofor] - @pb is working on program ideas like these and can best speak to this possibility.

pb
Atlassian Team
November 14, 2017

@Cristian Rosas [Tecnofor], your timing could not possibly have been any better.  I've just been working on that.  If you'd like a sneak peak, send me an email (pbeaudette@atlassian.com) and I'll let you in to take a look.

Anton Perera July 2, 2018

@Josh

I'm a newbie in the community. But I totally agreed with Josh. According to my point of view actually his idea is not a one idea but set of ideas for the base for features which could lead the community to be more professional and guided one for the newbies and developers, admins etc.

2 votes
Liz Bedwell October 12, 2017

I do find the emails fairly useful, but going forward I do think I will end up filtering them as my project ramps up. However maybe a weekly update on items watches and questions asked instead, and the ability to not get a notification if it is you that has replied to your own question.

A side bar to navigate akin to Confluence would also be really useful as I am not currently using the notification icon in the Community section as it takes me away from the page I am currently viewing, so a side bar with tools with that data on and a badge to denote that there are unread notifications would be really nice.

Scott Grieder
Atlassian Team
October 12, 2017

Hi @Liz Bedwell - Thanks for writing in.  We're working on making the notifications less disruptive and exploring ways to make better use of the sidebar for exactly the reasons that you just mentioned. We're hoping to have some improvements out to solve for some of these issues soon. 

ps. In case you didn't know, you can easily change your email notification preferences from your profile.  

• Click on your avatar in the header, then select "View profile" from the drop down.
  • Select "Adjust notifications" button (next to the "Edit profile" button).
  • Then select the "Frequency" tab to adjust when you want to get emails sent. ie; Immediately, daily, weekly, etc. 
Kevan Lin
Atlassian Team
October 12, 2017

@Liz Bedwell Can you elaborate a little bit more on the sidebar concept? Are you referring to Confluence Cloud and the sidebar that contains all of your notifications? 

And when you mention "tools with that data" what "tools" are you referring to and what would you like to accomplish or are trying to accomplish? 

Thanks! 

Liz Bedwell October 13, 2017

Hi @Test User KL, apologies I wrote my response quickly in-between meetings.

For the Community section it would be nice to have a side bar so the look and functionality is the same as Confluence/JIRA. There a user can have access to Notifications, last question asked and other "quick links" to different areas of the Community/Help Pages. As at present I do find it someone less intuitive to navigate compared to Confluence itself.

Also thank you @Scott for the reminder about the email notifications. I've switched companies and therefore accounts, and forgot to set up the preferences again, thought something had changed in the few months I was without Confluence. :)

Thank you.

Kevan Lin
Atlassian Team
October 13, 2017

Ah that makes a lot of sense. You're looking for a dedicated space somewhere within the UI where you know you can always find "quick links", and particularly where you will be able to have access to notifications. And you would prefer that the community mimics that of Jira and Confluence in the way they implement it (sidebar). Is that right? 

Liz Bedwell October 13, 2017

Yes that is correct, for me having the Community pages mimic the Confluence/Jira layouts then it will save time and help clear up brain space remembering where things are when questions and help arise in the use of Confluence for example. Basically a similar UX and UI across the Atlassian products to not only brand them for users but also to help people navigate between them. Especially when a company is new to the Atlassian suite of software, which is a position I have been in many times, and end up being the new starter with more knowledge of Conf and Jira tools. :)

1 vote
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 19, 2017

As a Community Champion, I'd like to be able to filter out questions I've already read/visited, so that I can easily find new questions I might be able to answer.

Currently, when looking for questions, I end up reading the same questions from the list many times, as I enter a question and return to the list of questions.

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 19, 2017

I've created this discussion before finding this post.

1 vote
RobertP October 13, 2017

Being able to easily embed JIRA issue collectors in Confluence. All the help documentation I've found is basically deprecated on Cloud versions. 

Daniel Eads _unmonitored account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 13, 2017

Hi Robert,

Can you expand on that? Are you referring specifically to your company's Cloud JIRA/Confluence instances, or more on Atlassian's documentation at confluence.atlassian.com?

If it's the former, let's spin off into a separate question thread to work through that. The Service Desk Cloud team just released issue collectors (for Service Desk requests) and I'd be interested in working through getting those added to a Cloud instance.

Thanks,
Daniel

Scott Grieder
Atlassian Team
October 13, 2017

Hi - Thanks for the feedback and welcome to the Community!

We will certainly pass along feedback to other Atlassian product teams re: the need for better documentation. 

@Monique vdB pointed out that my old question title may have been too ambiguous, so I've modified it to make the goal of this Q&A thread a bit more clear.

I'm the product lead on the Atlassian Community and am trying to collect feedback on what people think would make community user experience more helpful.  Let me know if you have any suggestions.

1 vote
venugopal123 October 13, 2017

Hi All,

Iam happy to suggest you as you are the finest company in providing support for your product users. I would like to suggest you that the chat option in profile page is always better to get the quick answers and solve our issues as quick as possible . So please try to implement

pb
Atlassian Team
October 13, 2017

I'd love to have live chat as an option.  Scott knows that's on my wish list as well. :) . Thanks for writing in, and welcome to our community!

venugopal123 October 17, 2017

Yes @pb as per recent days & technology people always would like to choose chat window to get resolve their issues as their urgency. So users obviously love these type implementations and they can always show interest in viewing your portal to get help . 

1 vote
Josh October 12, 2017

The code formatting is terrible several places.  For example, '<' and '>' and '&' often show up as their html encoded counterparts.

Rather than usable code, you'll see

&lt;table&gt;
    &lt;tbody&gt;
        &lt;tr&gt;
            &lt;th&gt;Hello&lt;/th&gt;
            &lt;th&gt;World&lt;/th&gt;
        &lt;/tr&gt;
        &lt;tr&gt;
            &lt;td&gt;Nick&lt;/td&gt;
            &lt;td&gt;Rocks!&lt;/td&gt;
        &lt;/tr&gt;
    &lt;/tbody&gt;
&lt;/table&gt;

Can you fix this?  It's irritating to work with, but is widespread across your site.  

Source:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Answers-Developer-Questions/How-to-update-a-page-with-Python-using-REST-API/qaq-p/480627

Also, tutorials using the Atlassian SDK are not documented well.  Many times, they contain instructions that are out of date by over a year (example written for JIRA version 6.x but we are now approaching 7.5).  
It's not apparent which version these tutorials are targeted for.  This means that some tutorials work, while others don't.  It's not apparent until going through all of the steps that it won't work. 
Other times, a tutorial exists for Confluence and contains Confluence specific instuructions but there is no JIRA counterpart, but it appears as though that tutorial was meant for both.  Do you really not have enough money to just update the documentation on each release?  Atlassian is far behind other well-known companies in this regard. 
I would also like to see more people involved than just 'Community Champions' on this site.  Compare how this site works to something like Stack Overflow, where there are organic answers to many questions.  Other than Atlassian staff and plugin authors, it seems like no one knows much on a deeper level  about the product.  Compare this to the Salesforce community, where documentation is almost always up to date.  Atlassian has enough money as a billion dollar plus company they can do better.  

Scott Grieder
Atlassian Team
October 12, 2017

Hi @Josh - Thanks for your feedback. Sorry that this embedded content issue is so frustrating. This is a known issue that you can track here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/COMMUNITY-90

We'll make sure your feedback on tutorials and product documentation is surfaced to the appropriate teams here as well.

0 votes
Anton Perera July 2, 2018

Hi Scott,
I'm really new to the Atlassian Community. But I have some experiences with other communities and with that this just came into my mind.
Will it be something worth to have a small Mobile App for the community ?
Sometimes it will be easy to check some articles, answer questions while the user is away from a Laptop. I searched through the Google Play Store and didn't find an App for the Community. So I thought to suggest this. Sometimes this may not a priority feature for the community. But I felt it is something nice to have so the users influence on helping each other via the community can be increased a little bit as they can engage with the community while travelling or away from a Laptop/Desktop. Maybe this was suggested by someone else too I just shared what came to my mind. :)

By the way I really enjoying simplicity and the UI of the community it is way better than any community I was involved in my life. I should admire that too. :)

0 votes
Tamer Salah
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 16, 2017

Dear Scott,

Concerning one of the changes Atlassian enrolled, i have a question. Why can i only see tasks per user in 'Active sprints' and not tasks per story how it was before (so that we can drag tasks from To do to Doing and Done based on story, not on user)

It is impossible to change this view back to the way it was.

Thank you for your help,
Tamer

Scott Grieder
Atlassian Team
October 18, 2017

Hi Tamer, 

I think that your question is related to a specific JIRA workflow set up.  I'm not the best person to answer this question, but you may be able to get some advice from the community on this topic by submitting a new question here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/forums/postpage/choose-node/true/interaction-style/qanda?add-tags=Jira-Workflow

0 votes
Sue Ganey October 13, 2017

I would be very useful to have the ability to create queries and macros in Confluence Cloud; to extract metadata for document management (workflow, archiving, etc). 

pb
Atlassian Team
October 13, 2017

Hi Sue, and welcome!  I'll pass those suggestions along to the product team for Confluence Cloud - I know they're watching here as well.

What about for this website, the community site?  Anything you'd suggest here?

philippe

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events