It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Usernames, privacy, alter egos, and you

Why are you displaying my full name and how can I change it?

We log you into the Atlassian Community using your Atlassian ID, and your username is automatically generated based on your Atlassian ID. 

To change your name:

1. Visit id.atlassian.com

2. Update the Full name field (not the Public Name field!)

3. Log out of Community

4. Log back in to Community

View our privacy policy for more information

There are multiple versions of me and the wrong one is getting tagged

If you have multiple Atlassian IDs, this can happen! We are working on improvements, but in the meantime, you can use the steps above to update your usernames to make it clear which one you want to use. 

Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 12.40.31 PM.png

Note: Usernames no longer support (parentheses) or [brackets] and users will be unable to tag you if you try to use them. Use -dashes- or {curly brackets} instead!

Anything else to know about usernames?

They do not support emojis; if you have an emoji in your public name, you won't be unable to log in and will hit an error. 

There are multiple versions of me and I'm getting automatically logged in as the wrong one

1. Log out at id.atlassian.com

2. Log out of Community

3. Log in on Community, now you get the id.atlassian.com login form and can put your preferred account details

There are multiple versions of me, can I just merge them into one?

Unfortunately, we can't currently merge two profiles. I recommend adding [Deactivated] or similar to any profile you don't want to use, and updating the profile picture, so you can make sure you're always using your preferred account.

I need to change my email address but don't want to lose my history!

You can update your email address on your Atlassian account. 

1. Visit id.atlassian.com

2. Update the e-mail field  

3. Log out of Community

4. Log back in to Community

If your account is managed by Google, this will not work. Instead, reach out to communitymanagers@atlassian.com for support.

Thank you @Daniel Eads for contributing to this article.

7 comments

Thanks! :)

I have the same Atlassian ID for Community as for our Cloud JIRA/Confluence.

If I change my "Full Name", then it applies to both Community and Cloud JIRA/Confluence. FYI, I am not seeing this "Public Name" field.

Is it possible to have your proper name displayed on private Cloud JIRA/Confluence instances, but have a different name displayed on Community which is a public (but useful) forum?

There is clearly a difference in scenario here and hopefully there is a way to address it.

Like # people like this

@Cody Stevens -Community-  you may find this article helpful!

@Unknown User that is something we are working on but don't support as yet. Currently we only have one name field and it's the same across products. 

You could create a new account just for community that isn't connected to your other Atlassian ID. You might want to use a dedicated browser for that so you don't accidentally get logged in with your second account. (This is a pain but definitely will allow you to spin up a different account with an anonymized name while we work through the solution.) 

@Monique van den Berg 

Currently we only have one name field 

Could you point me to any documentation regarding Full Name and Public Name?

I am failing to understand the difference between these. It seems Full Name is being used, I have yet to see Public Name in use.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Feedback-Forum-questions/I-did-not-opt-in-to-Atlassian-s-community-How-do-I-opt-out/qaq-p/1044316?utm_source=atlcomm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=immediate_general_reply&utm_content=topic

In this thread, at one point I had successfully update my name being displayed that is different from my given name. Suddenly, now it is displaying my given name again. 

Despite repeated attempts to change my name (both Full and Public), it does not seem to save properly.

Could you please check and help me out on this?

Perfect timing @Monique van den Berg ! You tagged my other profile too so I am taking steps to prevent that now!

Like Monique van den Berg likes this

I know, there is no rhyme or reason to what the @ mention system decides to put first! We're working on improvements to that though. 

Comment

Community showcase
Posted in Feedback & Announcements

High-fives all around!

In this post, we’re celebrating users who have gotten five accepted answers on the Atlassian Community. These folks are not only fabulous and helpful humans, they are our future Community Leaders! ...

693 views 47 18
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you