It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Retiring IE11 support for Atlassian cloud, server, and data center products

In 2015 Microsoft released Edge as the browser to supersede Internet Explorer (IE). Since then IE has not received major updates, or added support for many modern web standards. Microsoft recently discouraged the use of Internet Explorer as a default browser, and we’ve also seen a decrease in IE11 usage across our cloud, server, and data center products over time.

To allow us to continue to take advantage of modern web standards to deliver improved functionality and the best possible user experience across all of our products, we have decided to end support for IE11.

What does end of support for IE11 mean?

End of support means we will not fix bugs that are specific to IE11, and will begin to introduce features that aren't compatible with this browser.

When is this happening?

• For all Atlassian cloud products, support will end on 31 March 2020.

• For Atlassian server and data center products, the last version to support IE11 will be released between September 2019 and March 2020. Subsequent versions will not support IE11. We’ll provide plenty of information about this in the upgrade notes for each version. Please see the table below for confirmed versions and we will continue to update this table as we confirm more details.

Server and Data Center product

Last IE11-supported version

End-of-support dates

Jira Software

8.5 (Enterprise Release)

October 21, 2021

Jira Service Desk

4.5 (Enterprise Release)

October 21, 2021

Confluence

7.x (Enterprise Release)

TBC (version is yet to be released)

Bitbucket

6.x

Crowd

TBC

Bamboo

September 17, 2021

Fisheye

Crucible

• For Atlassian cloud, server, and data center apps such as Portfolio for Jira, Questions for Confluence, and Team Calendars for Confluence, apps will continue to support IE11 until 31 March 2020 (cloud apps), or until the last version of Jira or Confluence that supports IE11 has reached end of life (server and data center apps).

What this means for you

In preparation for the end of support dates, we recommend switching to one of our supported browsers, such as Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, or Mozilla Firefox.

Please comment below with any additional questions and a member of the Atlassian team will be sure to assist you.

11 comments

DPK J Community Leader Sep 23, 2019

I’m a developer for pas 10 year, and only thing I’ll say for this is, “Yippee”

Like # people like this

:-) Finally. Goodbye polyfills my old friends.

Like # people like this
Tomáš Vrabec Community Leader Sep 24, 2019

Yesterday was too late! Finally I will get much more easier job with debuging corporates exceptions with IE11. Thanks guys for that move!

Like # people like this

Ok, let's bury this browser for good and never talk about it again. Developers will thank you

Like # people like this

Are you aware that Windows 10 LTSC versions do not have Edge? Also in environments where LTSC is typically used, rolling out some 3rd party browser like Chrome or Firefox is often very complicated and work-intensive, or downright impossible.

rolling out some 3rd party browser like Chrome or Firefox is often very complicated and work-intensive, or downright impossible.

This is not  a reason to support IE11. The EoS is music to my ears, I also want to push my company to do the same.

Your statement sounds like someone without much experience or someone used to their routine. I have never had an issue with setting up corporate offices across countries with third-party browsers. Security should be the utmost importance when you are dealing with these setups (it's one of the main reasons they do this) so having IE in this setup is a bad idea to begin with. I see LTSC with FireFox all the time

The platforms that only support IE are realizing they need to update their system too. They don't want to but this is the life IT lives. 

If your system is setup that adding third-party apps is that difficult, perhaps the issue is the way it is setup. This mentality that it's too difficult so we shouldn't do it does not belong in the IT realm. To state it's "downright impossible" is only adding to the problem. This is simply not true.

Like # people like this

> rolling out some 3rd party browser like Chrome or Firefox is often very complicated and work-intensive, or downright impossible.

You need to explain that one. Because you can roll out Firefox ESR (which has MSI's, zip files, and a chocolatey package available). Firefox ESR also has it's own ADMX files, so you can GPO the whole thing to your heart's content. You can even repackage and deploy Firefox ESR with any extension you like.

Here's some links to help you along:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/enterprise/

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/firefox-enterprise/deploy-firefox-for-enterprise

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/firefox-enterprise/policies-customization-enterprise

>> rolling out some 3rd party browser like Chrome or Firefox is often very complicated and work-intensive, or downright impossible.

You need to explain that one.

There are not so much technical as organizational and/or legal issues. Basically there are two main situations:

1. You have systems which are not managed by your own organization, most often because they are part of a bigger envonmet which is as a whole supported by some 3rd party. And this 3rd party wont or sometimes cant roll out 3rd party software. Or you can manage these systems, but are not allowed to do so, because then you would loose support for the whole installation.

2. You have an environment which is certified by somebody like FDA (e.g. a Laboratory) and you are not allowed to change anything, or changing something requires such a big, convoluted and beaurocratic process that its practically impossible.

> This mentality that it's too difficult so we shouldn't do it does not belong in the IT realm.

I wholeheartedly agree, but unfortunately there are other "realms" out there than IT. 

Maybe one needs some experience to understand this.

@Matthias Berger

IT is an integral part of the business process.

Have you defined IT processes based on ITIL, ASL, and BISL? If you did, you can explain to management why a third-party browser created for an enterprise environment (such as Firefox ESR or Chrome Enterprise) is needed based on requirements by mission-critical third-party software (such as Atlassian or banking software).

Comment

Community showcase
Published in Feedback & Announcements

Changes in database support for Server and Data Center products

Hello, Community! My name is Gosia and I'm a Product Manager on Server and Data Center products here at Atlassian. I am reaching out to you to share information about database types ...

154 views 0 5
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you