How to become an Atlassian Community Leader

Editor's note: This post has been updated as of December 21, 2020.

Community Leader badge.png

The Atlassian Community features a global network of people who meet online and in-person with a shared mission to build relationships and expand their knowledge of Atlassian products. Community Leaders are the stewards of this movement, investing in and shaping its future.

Who are they?

All Community Leaders have an online badge that identifies them as such.

What constitutes a good Community Leader?

They act as:

• Connectors: They are intrinsically motivated to support other members through networking and knowledge-sharing.
  • Ambassadors: They are eager to partner with our internal teams to drive product and Community improvements, and serve as champions of our brand.
  • Mentors: They have time to respond regularly to questions in person and online, organize events and create content, and foster engagement in the Community.

How do I become a Leader?

The Community team conducts a formal review of all Leader applications. Once invited, all Leaders commit to maintaining a certain level of activity, and those who do not may be retired from the program (though the door is always open to return!)

✳️ Events

A strong events Leader candidate is a user of Atlassian products and is ready to commit to:

• Hosting consistent events — virtual, in-person or hybrid (a minimum of four per year, but the more, the merrier!)
  • Coordinating agendas and speakers, as well as food and beverages
  • Building engagement among members (answering their questions, distributing newsletters, etc.)
  • Promoting upcoming events to their networks
  • Moderating an online group for their city to share event recaps and continue discussions (optional)

✳️ Online

A strong online Leader candidate has actively been participating in the Atlassian Community and demonstrates:

• A consistent effort to accurately answer questions, post articles about best practices and start thoughtful discussions (minimum of three months)
  • A proper tone that is empathetic, genuine and helpful
  • A healthy level of accepted answers (typically, at least 10)
  • A desire to welcome new members, celebrate accomplishments and create a space that encourages other people to keep coming back

Note: We also track a monthly activity report, and top contributors may be invited via email to join the program.

✳️ Both

There is no one-size-fits all approach to participation, so if a healthy mix of these two options is your jam, that's cool, too.

Here's a recap from one of our recent webinars on how to become a Community Leader.

If you're ready to step up to the plate, apply now!

community banner.png

What are the benefits for Leaders?

So glad you asked! Special perks include:

• Community Leader badge on your online profile

• Support for events (think: content, swag for attendees and reimbursement for food)

• A dedicated Community Manager and direct access to the Atlassian team

• Opportunity to earn free tickets to Atlassian events (Team, Team Tour and more) and the chance to have dinner with our co-founders, Mike and Scott

• Access to a Slack instance for all Leaders

• Free voucher for each of Atlassian’s badges and exams

• Trello Business Class
  • Opportunity to join our Community Advisory Board, with alpha access to new features, input on future enhancements and more

• Access to Leaders-only spaces online, plus extra permissions to moderate content, start discussions, and write articles

• Special Community swag and experiences based on yearly and activity milestones

• Fame and glory (arguably the coolest of the benefits)

Have additional questions? We’d love to hear from you! Email us at communitymanagers@atlassian.com.

60 comments

LeKisha Boswell March 8, 2018

Image result for gif that says I want one, i want one"

And now I have the blueprint to help me earn one!

Like # people like this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 8, 2018
Like # people like this
LeKisha Boswell March 8, 2018

@Erica Moss ....THANK YOU GUUURRRLLLLL!!!.

Like emmanuelpeter866 likes this
Alana Fernando
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 2, 2018

@Erica Moss is there a way that i can track my own points? 

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 2, 2018

@Alana Fernando Not quite yet, but always feel free to email us at communitymanagers@atlassian.com, and we can check for you!

Like # people like this
M Amine
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2018

@Erica Moss any update on tracking own points?

wrote to championprogram email but got no answer. 

thank you

Like MD ZAFAR ANWAR likes this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 30, 2018

@M Amine Hello! You should be hearing back from me today. 😄

Like # people like this
M Amine
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 30, 2018

yes thank you vm @Erica Mossjust got your email. 

cheers. 

Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2018

I have been in IT industry for more than 8 years now and I haven't come across many online communities that contribute so much in terms of knowledge sharing, transfer and troubleshooting. This community does a lot when it comes to those three aspects.

I am only worried about how fast the Database must be growing with so much stuffs here every passing day. ;-)

Keep up the good work everybody.

Like # people like this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2018

@Vickey Palzor Lepcha Thanks so much for the kind words, Vickey! We appreciate you being here & sharing your insight. 😄

Like # people like this
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 20, 2018

@Erica Moss is there a way that i can track my own points? 

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 21, 2018

@Ollie Guan Not currently, but I can always check for you if you email communitymanagers@atlassian.com with a link to your profile!

Like Monique vdB likes this
Yogesh Mude
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 6, 2018

@Erica Moss please check my points.

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 7, 2018

@Yogesh Mude I'll respond via email!

Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 7, 2018

@Erica MossThanks! I have sent the email and look forward to your reply

Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 10, 2018

How often do Atlassian community champions evaluate? I am looking forward to getting permission to create articles : )

Yogesh Mude
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 12, 2018

@Erica Moss i have sent a mail with my profile link in last week, please see if you can check the points 
:)

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 13, 2018

@Ollie Guan Hello! For the most part, it's once a month (we also evaluate referrals from current Champs in between). 😄

Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 13, 2018

@Erica MossGot it,Tks!

Paula July 11, 2018

Just started on this! Excited to get these perks!

Like Tobias Anstett _K15t_ likes this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 11, 2018

Love the enthusiasm, @Paula!

Like # people like this
Tobias Anstett _K15t_
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 11, 2019

giphy-downsized.gif

I am wondering what *swag* is available for champions :)

Like # people like this
Mihai Schwarz
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 13, 2019

Like # people like this
Petr Vaníček
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 12, 2019

@Erica Moss Hi, can you please check my profile and points? I sent e-mail last week also. Thanks in advance and best regards

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 18, 2019

@Petr Vaníček I will check on that — thank you!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events