Sourcetree Tracking menu difficult to navigate when it is very large

Blue_Minibike March 19, 2019

Perhaps this is better as a discussion.

On our enterprise level git installation, there are hundreds of branches to choose from for tracking. It is easy to setup a tracking branch for a local branch at creation, but if it is ever desired to change that tracking, then it becomes a pain using Sourctree.

When using the right click on a local branch name, the "Track Remote Branch >" option brings up a list of all the possible branches.

Currently, with two remotes, this list is out of control too big to scroll through and that seems to be the only method available to use the list.

Could a search method please be provided that would allow narrowing the list down, while confirming a correct existing name to select?

An alternative, would be to just give at least a way to manually type in the branch name, however, this is not much better than simply opening a Terminal window and entering the git command to make the tracking occur (non-GUI, and fraught with potential for mistakes).

I am a fan of all the improvements to Sourcetree (Windows) that have come in the last year, and am now recommending it to others in our group. This item is one that I always get feedback on.

If someone would like to discuss this further, please email me with a phone number.

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 20, 2019

Hi

(Sorry I did reply to this yesterday, but must have forgotten to press submit)  

Thanks for the feedback, we only get to understand scenarios such as yours when we get feedback.

At this stage I'm afraid I can only suggest creating a feature request at https://jira.atlassian.com 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events