Migrating users from Crowd to Internal directory

Yogesh Mude February 15, 2018

As we are  leaving behind the in house applications like jira, confluence, Bitbucket and Crowd  servers & planning to migrate data to cloud applications..Currently we are using crowd for user managements for all the Atlassian tools (jira, confluence and Bitbucket servers ) so we wanted to migrate all the users from Crowd directory to Internal directory.

Anyone who has gone through the same situation, please provide your suggestions/articles/steps that will be great help for us.

2 answers

0 votes
Anshuman Bakshi February 15, 2018

Hello Marcin, 

We are planning to migrate from server to cloud, and as we have all our active users in crowd directory, we want all of our users to be available in cloud. 

We have gone through the documentation link provided above but we are unable to see the option of migrate users from one directory to another is not available in the jira server--User Directories. Please see the screenshot attached.

SCR1.PNG

Marcin Kempa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 15, 2018

Hi @Yogesh Mude and @Anshuman Bakshi,

At the moment I cannot find an easy method to do so apart from a following, slightly manual one.

I've found this documentation, which describes a similar process for Confluence, which requires some DB changes.

The other potential option would be to export users from Crowd to a csv file using following KB article. Then you could create an internal directory, place it under Crowd one in Jira, import those users using following method described in this community answer. As the users should be the same, you could then change the order of directories in Jira, so the internal one would be the first one and disable Crowd remote directory. After such operation you should verify if all the issues and comments are still assigned to your users. This method, might require some additional work with restoring memberships and in general might be harder to implement.

I did not try those solutions on my own and I strongly recommend to test them on a testing / staging environment.

I hope that this helps. If I find more detailed instructions, I will post it here.

Marcin Kempa

Anshuman Bakshi February 15, 2018

Thanks Marcin for your suggestions, We will try to follow these steps mentioned in the links. 

Neeta Dubey January 2, 2019

Hi Anshuman,

Did you try the suggestion made by Marcin? We need to do similar thing for our JIRA instance?

0 votes
Juan Manuel Ibarra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 15, 2018

Hi Yogesh, I recommend you read this article

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/migrating-users-between-user-directories-802592357.html

I hope it will be helpful

Regards!

Hi @Juan Manuel Ibarra,

Thanks for your response :)

i have gone through this article but the option which has mentioned in the User Directories ie migrate users from one directory to another is not available in the jira server--User Directories.

please have a look on this article.

Marcin Kempa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 15, 2018

Hi @Yogesh Mude,

I am not sure if I understand what you are trying to achieve. You would like to migrate users in from the remote Crowd directory in Jira to an internal one in Jira as well? So then you would be able to export whole Jira with users to Jira Cloud?

I assume that the ultimate goal is to have all your users from Crowd into Atlassian's Cloud? Is that correct?

The linked documentation https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/migrating-users-between-user-directories-802592357.html only refers to Jira, and this option is only available if you have at least two internal or delegated directories as only migration between those types of directories is possible.

Best Regards,

Marcin Kempa

Thanks @Marcin Kempa for your response.

Yes, Our goal is  that all the users of crowd server to be able to login once we are migrating to Jira cloud..

Currently in our Jira server one internal and one crowd directory had been configured.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events