LDAP groups can define Customer User/Role in JSM but then Customers is just a list of names

Frederick Washburn August 5, 2021

Hi Folks,

We are implementing JSM Data Center 8.16 and I've hit a snag. We use role based groups extensively throughout Jira/Confluence. I thought it would be the same in JSM as I can define Users and Roles - Role: Service Desk Customers with a group, just like in Jira/Confluence which is exactly what I want. So I was surprised that this alone does not provide access, and it appears individuals need to be added manually to the Customers on the Project? Also it seems that Customers actually controls the access and not the User and Roles Service Desk Customers - so not sure why that's even needed?

Customers does not take an LDAP group like Users and Roles which makes no sense to me. Do I really need to add a few hundred people to the each Portal project based on who can access the portal? And no, it cannot be everyone that has access to JSM on our system as we have different levels of user classification on our network. 

If we can't use groups, then it also means that we now need to have a workflow for new users on the network that goes through each portal and adds users into the appropriate customer lists?

I hope I'm missing something and this is solvable.

Thanks - Rick

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 5, 2021

Are your customers internal customers that have access to your Atlassian instance? If that is the case then you can add the LDAP group as Service Desk Customers in the project and that will add those users to the Customers list. This is how I am doing it, since all our customers are internal and everyone at the company have at least access to Confluence.

Frederick Washburn August 5, 2021

Hi Mikael,

Thanks for the clarification, I hadn't realized that it would sync customers from the role. I've been playing around with that in various testing scenarios and hadn't picked up on what it was doing. I verified I can add users in customer role with permissions set to "Who can raise requests?" set to "Customers who are added to the project". This works the way I would expect.

Thanks again!

Like Mikael Sandberg likes this
Frederick Washburn August 12, 2021

Hi @Mikael Sandberg 

I've ran into a related issue in that the group I'm using for service desk customers in Users and roles is 'mostly' brought into the Customers list in the project. There are 295 users in this group and only 287 get brought in as 'Customers'. If I go into Admin->User Management I can see the missing individuals in the system and if I do 'View Project Roles for User' on them I see they they are in the project as Service Desk Customers. They are just not in the customer list within the project and cannot see the project in the portal. Could there be some other setting I'm missing?

Thanks - Rick

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events