Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop Jira Service Desk Customers being counted in Crowd licencing limits

Cameron Leask September 3, 2017

We use Crowd (licensed for 50 users) with various Atlassian applications including Jira Service Desk (5 agents).

Crowd is complaining that we have reached our user limit despite online having less than 20 Jira users etc. I believe that the problem is that our service desk customer users (which should not be included in any licensing limits) are counting towards our user limit in Crowd.

I am aware of https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSD-1244 - although nothing seems to be happening on it.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions on this, it seems ridiculous that Service Desk's licencing model can be "overruled" in this way by Crowd.

1 answer

1 vote
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 6, 2017

Hi Cameron,

I did see your comment and I will be interested to see the response, however, I don't see it assigned to an Engineer yet so I would add the use case per the instructions on JSD-1244 and you'll be notified when this is resolved and an Engineer has been assigned to it.

I would also take a look at Service Desk Customers will count towards jira-users license if "Default Group Memberships" is configured:

In Service Desk 2.0 and above with public signup, Customers are added into the certain groups and count towards JIRA license. As a result, Service Desk Customers are able to login JIRA and perform actions based on the permission given to the configured groups. 

This is an expected behaviour as Default Group Membership option is enabled for JIRA to LDAP or Crowd, thus new users will be automatically added into the configured group(s), usually jira-users so they can login.

To workaround this disable Default Group Membership in LDAP or Crowd. 

Hopefully this helps.

Cheers,

Branden

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events