Does auto add user to Crowd groups only work for first time authentication?

HN July 24, 2017

The Crowd documentation here has instructions to confiugure the AD delegate directory so that on user login it will auto add user to groups specified. 

I tried this with my account and it does not appear to work (I can't see the jira-users group in my list of groups).

In crowd it says "When a user in this directory authenticates successfully for the first time, they will be automatically added to the following groups:" but no where in the document does it say it is only for first-time logins.

Can I get some clarification on:

1. Does this only for new users who have not logged in previously?

1. Is the expectected behaviour to see a new user (never authenticated) in the {{jira-users}} group on first login?

2. If this only works for users who have never authenticated before, is there an option to simulate it within Crowd? 

1 answer

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 28, 2017

I am happy to provide clarification where I can. 

1- The sentence "When a user in this directory authenticates successfully for the first time, they can be automatically added as members of existing groups." is supposed to convey that it only applies for users who have never logged in before. The reason it's like that is to give admins the ability to take a user out of one of the groups and not worry about them being re-added on next login.

2- A user who has never logged in before should be added to the groups you set under Options>Default Group memberships

3- I am not 100% sure what you mean by simulating the default group memberships. You can definitely add the users manually to the groups. Do you have a need to bulk add quite a few users to particular groups?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events