what is the advantage of setting up an applicaiton link between a confluence space and jira project?

Shikha Saigal September 10, 2012

Hello

My organisation is using Jira v5.1.3 and Confluence ver 4.3.

We have setup both systems as directed in https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONF42/Integrating+JIRA+and+Confluence.

Everything works ok but I am wondering as to what are the benefits of setting up an app link between a specific Jira project and confluence space.

Even without those app links I can isert issues in confluence or link to a wiki page from Jira - so what is the purpose of linking the two entitites. Is it just to add a project filter in gadgets?

I would really like to know so we make the most of the Jira/confluence integration features.

Thank you.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
RianA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 10, 2012

Hi,

Last time in prior to Conlfuence 3.5, this link exist for better linking between Confluence Space and JIRA Project, such that when Project that has name PROJECT link to certain space in Confluence, you can just type issue key of that project in any page of that space and it will be linked to that issue in JIRA. For example if you type PROJECT-123 in any page, it will be automatically linked to Confluence. However, this is not the case anymore after 3.5, there's a bug report regarding this issue.

Prior to Atlassian OnDemand, on JIRA Studio, we do have this feature to link between Project and Space, so that it can be easily accessed just like you mentioned. However it didn't work on stand alone Confluence. Which is why the benefit of the Entity link which is between project to space is only that for the time being.

Hope this information helps.

Cheers,
Josua

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 10, 2012

The main advantage is to display JIRA content in Confluence (gadgets, filters, issues) and Confluence content in JIRA (gadgtes, links etc).

There are few plugins as well which makes use of applications links.

Another majot integration feature, not directly related to application links, is to share the user base in JIRA.

Shikha Saigal September 10, 2012

Thanks Jobin.

We have setup Application Links at the system level i.e. via the Jira and confluence administration interfaces.

However, there is an additional level where you go through Confluence - Select a space - Go to Space admin and then set an applicaiton link between a particular space and a particular Jira project.

I am wondering what is the benefit of setting up the link at the 2nd level.

I am echoing the same query as mentioned below this article.....https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Adding+Project+Links+between+Applications

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 10, 2012

Frankly, I don't know about the added benefits if you link Confluence spaces to JIRA projects. I have used project links only between JIRA and Fisheye/Crucible.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events