single space vs double space line formatting

Lawrence M David Jr November 7, 2015

a team member began a list of links (to internal pages) - I needed to append the list. The list started out single spaced but every time I hit the Enter key my text is double spaced, is there a way to edit this?

6 answers

1 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2015

Check what current format is set. Is it in a "Heading"? "Paragraphed"? 

Lawrence M David Jr November 9, 2015

Thanks for the reply - I seem to be in paragraph, there are 6 levels of headings, a preformatted, and a quote mode, what mode should I be in?

Like Teik Oh likes this
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 9, 2015

The Paragraph format should do the trick. Alternatively, instead of pressing ENTER at the end of a line, press "SHIFT + ENTER" to disable all sorts of formatting.

Like # people like this
Lawrence M David Jr November 10, 2015

not sure why paragraph mode is giving me doubt-spacing; but SHIFT + Enter works like a charm - thank you very much. Some boards allow assigning Kudos - don't see that here but you earned them, thanks again - lmd2

Like Caleb Castro likes this
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 10, 2015

Ha! Glad to help! :) You can just click "Accept Answer" here.

Like Caleb Castro likes this
Lynn Sattler May 5, 2017

Here is a way

Use a macro called "no format"
So be where you want to paste in the confluence document. Type a left curly bracket (uppercase the left square bracket), then start typing no format. Select the "no format" option. This creates a box that when you paste single spaced text it stays single spaced in the box.

kevnallen March 4, 2019

My Product Owner was looking for a way to get tighter spacing and found the {no format macro quite useful. Thanks!

12 votes
Administrator March 14, 2019

Is this seriously how to change the spacing? Create a macro or use keystroke combinations? This is like Wordstar from 1988. This should be as easy as a menu bar button or option from a dropdown, not some archaic way of changing things.

There's nothing more annoying than performing a copy and paste into this relic than to have to go all the way through it and change the spacing because by default it wants to double space everything.

Cam Fortin March 25, 2019

100% agreed. Why the HELL would you assume someone wants double spaces every time they hit enter - that is absolutely f-ing insane. I really really hate it. 

Like # people like this
Raymond Spangle April 9, 2019

Absolutely agreed, here too.  Mine always seems to happen when pasting into a code block, which is supposed to be all preformatted text.  Confluence will:

1) change the pasted text to paragraph format (!?!@!?)

2) screw up all the rest of the code block with wide line spacing.

This needs to be better resolved.  It's been a decade, now.  It makes me want to keep all of my pages in Notepad++ or something, instead of constantly fighting this.

Like # people like this
Blake D Hoffman May 5, 2020

I completely agree as well. This is the greatest annoyance I have with all of their products. What world defaults to double spacing?

Like # people like this
Joe Zink March 16, 2021

It is not my greatest annoyance, but it has a very high ranking on my "annoy" scale.

Like # people like this
Barry Scott July 20, 2021

This is NOT user friendly. With frequently changing editors of varying Jira tickets because my team shares those responsibilities, we're wasting time changing the format of the last person who doesn't know about or want to deal with this obvious inconsistency! What am I missing? Why would Atlassian have the Enter key do one thing when creating a ticket, then have it do another when editing the same ticket!?

5 votes
Keith Tromans June 22, 2020

So we are back in the world when software houses produced what they thought the user should need and did not listen to what they actually needed.

Moreover, when many users complain about this they open tickets and then just close them giving only weak excuses as to why.

Offering the solution of "Shift + Return" is pathetic!

For those who are interested, it is more efficient (which doesn't mean it is efficient - just less of a pain) to type your test in Notepad and paste into Jira. That retains single line spacing and single spacing for carriage returns.

So, I have since discovered that if you have the same process as I do;  copy from email and paste, you can right mouse click and “Paste as Plain Text” and the double return is not added.

Ivan Perez September 10, 2020

Pasting into Notepad, then into Jira does eliminate the double spacing, thanks.   Pretty surprising that this has yet to be resolved by Jira after so many years. 

Like # people like this
Cheryl J September 10, 2020

Ivan, thank you.

Joe Zink March 16, 2021

Agree, but now I can't get lines to have different size fonts. Still tilting....

1 vote
Marcus Tang November 14, 2020

so many year pass...
the spacing design mistake 
<br>
<br>
<br>
just stupid shift+enter !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 votes
Barry Scott July 20, 2021

Just here to add a straw the pile. Why did Atlasssian design a feature when the Enter key does one thing when creating a ticket, then does another when editing the same ticket!?
If it's never going to be fixed at least offer a logical explanation for the decision? We need closure haha

0 votes
Lynn Sattler May 5, 2017

When typing shift enter does single spacing, where enter does double spacing. This works in word and wordpad also.

Here is a way to paste single spacing

Use a macro called "no format"
So be where you want to paste in the confluence document. Type a left curly bracket (uppercase the left square bracket), then start typing no format. Select the "no format" option. This creates a box that when you paste single spaced text it stays single spaced in the box

Cheryl J October 3, 2019

Tried {no format... in Confluence when using Meeting Notes but did not get a "no format" option.

Like Nat likes this
Lorraine Fox March 31, 2020

I did not get "no format.." either

Joe Zink March 16, 2021

I did not either.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events