Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

move confluence to another server

Jim Nilsen September 4, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Running Confluence in a Virtualised Environment

Need advice on how to move confluence to another vm.

5 answers

1 vote
Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 7, 2016

I would suggest a fairly bullet-proof mechanism:

1. Spin up a new instance of Confluence on a new server using a dev license.
  2. Do a full-site export of the existing server
  3. Import the full-site back up to the new server
  4. Make needed changes for the plugins, base URL, etc.
  5. Decommission the old server.
  6. Move the production license to the new server.

The reasons I like this method are:

• It is straightforward
  • Because you are basically writing the backup to the new database, it is independent of OS and DB engine. So if you want to migrate from Centos 6 to 7 or other distro, and/or Mysql to Postgres, this makes it easy.
  • Errors are usually easier to recover from since you are not trying move the database itself.
  • You not migrating any configuration issues over to the new server, especially an issue if you have done several inplace Confluence upgrades.
Pavel Potcheptsov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 7, 2016

How to obtain dev license to install new server with external database?

What is the full-site export? You mean database export to xml?

Roman Kirilenko
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 7, 2016

This way is suitable only for small instances. If you have a really large installation you will get a lot of problems with this way of migration.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 7, 2016

I'd agree with Roman here.  For large installations, you definitely want a copy of the home directory and a copy of the database after shutting the system down. 

Export/import is for small systems, or for changing the database if you must.

Like Aizhan Rayeva likes this
Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 8, 2016

Well small, maybe. He didn't state how large his is. I have used it without issues on instances of 1000 to 2000 pages.

And with full-site export, I mean from the backup and restore tab in the Confluence admin console.

1 vote
Roman Kirilenko
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 4, 2016

You didn't specify what OS and DB you're using on source and destination servers. In general, you can start from here.

Please feel free to ask any additional questions if you need.

Bahman Sharzad July 3, 2020

It's from ubuntu with postgresql and move it to same os and database.

0 votes
Alexander September 20, 2018

Lars, could you send your script to me. Please

My mail: sansankubyshin@gmail.com

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 5, 2016

"advice" is pretty open-ended.  All I can really advise is that you build the new server, install Confluence on it empty, do some testing, then plan and test a migration on to it using a copy or export of your current system (as suggested in the documentation), and then plan to do it for production when the testing all passes.

0 votes
Pavel Potcheptsov
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 4, 2016

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events