migrating to confluence cloud (from server) application link to existing jira srever (behind nat)

John Casey April 25, 2021

Need help to link migrated confluence cloud to my existing Jira & bitbucket server.    Previously all of my services were behind out firewall - access through VPN only.    I am testing migration of Confluence to the Cloud ( which worked fine).  But now I have to create application links from cloud to server instances.    I've opened up the Jira port and NATed it only giving access to atlassian IP ranges for security.   

Application link on confluence cloud site 

application url  and display url are set to the NATed IP address.   security is set to Oauth.  

But since my jira is on the internal network, it's base IP url is not the same as the NATed URL known to confluence cloud. 

I'm am getting this error message from confluence cloud application link 

"We can't enable the incoming authentication because Jira-hosted is not reachable."

Has anyone done this?    I would assume since atlassian is making us migrate to the cloud they would have made this easy and worked out these problems.    we are planning on moving jira  and bitbucket  to the cloud but we cannot do a all-in-one forklift - we have to migrate it over the course of months to ensure we don't have downtime and migrate our user based correctly. 

1 answer

0 votes
Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2021

Dear @John Casey ,

to make it work, you need to move Jira or at least its reverse proxy (nginx, apache, ...) into the DMZ. The URL to reach Jira has to work from Internet (sure, with limited IP range) and from internal network.

An option can also be the enterpise cloud. Contact Atlassian and ask if they are supporting VPNs. This is much more secure than allowing IP ranges to your Jira from outside.

So long

Thomas

John Casey April 26, 2021

Hi Tom - thanks for that answer -  I setup nginx reverse proxy.  I'm getting farther in the config but still stuck on oath config. 

my nginx config includes these entries:

proxy_set_header Authorization "";
proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-User $remote_user;

outgoing auth is set to OAuth

incoming auth is set to disable

on the cloud side my remote app [application and display url] are set to my proxy address:port

but I'm now I'm getting this error.   it's says to check the applications logs for further information.  but  I cannot find out where to view logs on confluence-cloud.    Do you know where i can view them?

Unexpected response

We received an unexpected response from Jira-hosted. If the remote application is behind a proxy, check that the application is operational. Troubleshoot this for other possible causes.

403: Forbidden

To see the full response content look at your application logs.

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2021

Dear @John Casey ,

first ensure that Jira is fully operational through your reverse proxy. This also means that Jira itself (Tomcat) can conntect to the reverse proxy.

No bypass, even for internal calls, should be possible. If that proxy is fully available to the internet (filtered / stateful), Cloud should be able to connect.

Have a look at my article - eventually there is some useful information inside.

So long

Thomas

John Casey April 27, 2021

thanks ! will try.  

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 10, 2021

Dear @John Casey ,

don't forget to press the "green accept answer" button to indicate other readers the successful answering of your question.

So long
Thomas

John Casey May 10, 2021

Hi  @Thomas Deiler  - 

I never did get it to work.  I also contacted Atlassian support with no luck.   Anyway I ended up moving everything to the cloud.  

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events