inline comments deleted on save?

bennett May 13, 2024

Posting this here after unexpectedly deleting a long discussion thread attached to an inline comment.

(Edit: this is for confluence cloud, not confluence server).

Steps to reproduce

1. Create a new page in Confluence, and add a line of text to the body.
  2. Save and publish the page.
  3. Select some of the text on the page, and add an inline comment. Save the comment.
  4. Edit the page, click publish.

Expected result

• After step 3, the inline comment is visible on the page, and when you click "show inline comments"
  • After step 4, the inline comment remains visible when you click "show inline comments"

Actual result

• After step 3, the inline comment is visible on the page (as expected) and when you click "show inline comments".
  • After step 4, the inline comment is no longer visible on the page, nor is it visible when you click "show inline comments" (image removed to hopefully fix character limit)
  • There seems to be no way to recover the inline comments after saving the page—not even when you view the previous version

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Barbara Szczesniak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2024

@bennett Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

When you edited the page in step 4, did you remove the text the inline comment was attached to?

I believe this may remove the comment or maybe it removes it and marks the comment as Resolved. If you go to the top of the page and select … > Resolved Comments, is the comment listed there?

bennett May 13, 2024

Thanks @Barbara Szczesniak

In the original page where I noticed the missing comments, I didn't modify the text where the inline comments were attached. The comments were missing after publishing a new version of the page, and weren't visible in Resolved Comments.

I've also reproduced the bug in a new page, as outlined in my post above. No changes to the page are needed to reproduce the issue—"Edit" then "Publish" removes all inline comments from the page, without adding them to Resolved Comments.

bennett May 13, 2024

@Barbara Szczesniak After sleeping on it, the missing comments are now visible, as expected.

I also can't reproduce the issue in a new page any more.

Thanks again! :)

Like Barbara Szczesniak likes this
0 votes
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2024

Hi, @bennett. Let's clarify if you are using the Atlassian Server platform (Atlassian thinks you are according to the Deployment Type above), or the Atlassian Cloud platform (as indicated by the tags). 

I cannot reproduce this on Confluence Cloud.

Screenshot 2024-05-13 at 11.51.12 AM.png

bennett May 13, 2024

Thanks @Dave Rosenlund. Not sure why it says Confluence Sever under deployment type, but it won't let me modify it. 🤷🏼

I can confirm it's Confluence Cloud, not Server.

As mentioned earlier, it's now working fine the following day. Not sure why it wasn't available yesterday.

I wonder if it's related to the rollout of this change?

Untitled 14.jpg

Like # people like this
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2024

That’s a very good educated guess, @bennett  👍

Like bennett likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events