how do I link Confluence labels to a centralized taxonomy OR create a shared taxonomy?

One of the few features that would really help us extend the life of Confluence on our site would be the ability to implement shared meta-data across spaces. In traditional big KM packages, this is called a taxonomy and users can only label content using labels that are in this taxonomy.

Yes, that's a bit too restrictive for us so we'd love to have the ability to create a centralized label lookup, if you will, and then put a system in place to capture new labels as they're created.

Is this in Confluence and I'm missing it? If so, how do we set this up? Or can it be added as a feature request?

Thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

Hello Antigone, Confluence does have a native label system which can be used to add categories to your pages, the labels can be displayed using the most common Content by Label macro, or the Popular Labels macro which displays a heat map of the categories.

There are also add on options, such as the Label Manager and the Label Tools.

Talking about sharing a common vocabulary, there is an awesome add on for managing company terminology called Glossary, may be worth checking that one too.

smile

The Labels Cage add-on will force your user to use labels from a pre-configured set of allowed labels.

thanks! my main concern with Labels Cage is how restrictive it sounds. We'd love to have the ability to create a centralized label look-up that allows users to create new labels. I didn't see this option in the documentation. Does Labels Cage do this and I missed that part? thanks!

Taxonomy entries, labels, topics, and equivalent terms can be managed using add-ons like the PoolParty tools such as "PowerTagging".  This gives you functionality approaching that of Metadata Management Services (MMS) in SharePoint 2013/2016.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

364 views 20 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you