how do I disable sending email notifications on changes to a confluence page

Amit Jagdish January 11, 2021

Hi! I am using confluence cloud. Could you please help me with my question. Information on this LINK seems to be dated. I don't see the options mentioned.

Thanks in advance.

:)

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andrew Kendris
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2021

Hello Amit - great question!

From what I found, there is no way to disable the trigger of emails when a page is initially published or when edits are made and you want to notify watchers.

However, if you want to publish a page and not notify anyone (this includes both push notifications and email alerts) that is possible.  In the edit screen, rather than publishing the page, you can click on the "More Actions" button next to "Close" button and you'll be presented with a dropdown where you can "publish without notifying watchers".

Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 2.40.34 PM.png

If you want to remove the noise of emails while still notify watchers in Confluence, my suggestion is to create a rule for your inbox to automatically move these emails to a dedicated Confluence Alerts folder and mark as "read".

Hope this helps!

Amit Jagdish January 12, 2021

Thank you for your time. Much appreciate this. This is certainly helpful. Although an overt control for the confluence page/space administrator would be more straightforward. 

Like # people like this
Sarah Klosterbuer January 4, 2024

Andrew,

The "publish without notifying watchers" no longer appears to be an option under "More Options." Is an alternative method available now?

0 votes
Answer accepted
Clark Everson
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2021

Hi Amit,

Welcome to the Community!

When you go to edit a page there is a checkbox to click to prevent watchers from being notified about changes. Uncheck that and people won't be notified.

For other notifications this is on a per user basis https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/subscribe-to-email-notifications/

Hope this information helps!

Clark

Amit Jagdish January 12, 2021

Thank you. Very helpful. 

Aleksandr Shevchuk November 24, 2021

Hi Clark,

is there an option to turn it off by default/globally?

Thanks,

Aleks

Like # people like this
Heike S January 3, 2022

Is there a possibility to uncheck this by default/globally for Confluence Server?

Thanks,

Heike

Like # people like this
Sarah Klosterbuer January 4, 2024

Has this option been removed? I'm not seeing a checkbox regarding watchers anywhere.

Marius Lex January 23, 2024

To turn this option off on every single page edit is insanely time consuming. Especially since the checkbox has moved behind another button. There has to be a way to disable this globally. If not I'm seriously concerned about the future of Confluence, since this is one of the most basic features in knowledge management systems ever.

Unfortunately only one of the many missing/unfinished features which make me think that Confluence Cloud isn't fit to be used as a knowledge management solution. I couldn't in good conscience recommend a system to a client that cannot even do this.

@Sarah Klosterbuer the checkbox has moved behind the little downward arrow next to update. It is in a popup now.

Like Max Ålander likes this
0 votes
Bret Spangenberg January 7, 2022

I would find it very helpful to turn off emails, for some pages, the emails are just spam.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events