Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I disable Confluence email notifications....

Sherri Netherby-Cox May 25, 2016

Some of my users have complained about the "chattiness" of the Confluence notifications system.   So, I googled for the solution to this problem.

This was the solution that came up via Google

Resolution
  1. Navigate to Confluence administrators menu.
  2. Navigate to "Manage Add-on" menu.
  3. Choose "System Plugins" from the drop down list.
  4. Find and click "Confluence Content Notification" plugin.
  5. Click the "<Number> of <Number> Modules enabled" button.
  6. From there, find and disable the following modules.

When I tried to do this in my Cloud installation, I am unable to even select the modules listed - in gray text it says:  Module cannot be modified.  

Anybody have any thoughts on how I can go about disabling notifications for these events?

11 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2016

You've found the wrong solution - that's about killing email off completely, and only on Server installations.

For Cloud, you don't have the option to turn modules off, it's a restricted function (because you could cripple it and Atlassian Cloud support really don't want to have to fix that sort of mistake - in general, not just the email part)

The answer for Cloud is to get your users to work through https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/email-notifications-145162.html and turn down/off the frequency of adds, autowatches and so-on.

Steve Terelmes March 15, 2019

This is mentioned a few places below, but to clarify, Nic's solution reduces only a % of emails. Even if a user unchecks every box they will get the following emails (or so I have experienced). 

• Another user assigns you a task on any page
  • Another user adds you to a team
  • Another user @mentions you directly

Even when you stop watching the page you will still get an email for these. I'm still researching to see if there is anyway to prevent this. 

There is also this option which might help when turned off
Capture.JPG

Like # people like this
Rory Apperson April 17, 2019

Nic, your link brings me to info about server not cloud.

kpink October 22, 2019

if a user is  mentioned on a page will they get an email any time anything is updated or just when they are mentioned?

Steve Terelmes October 23, 2019

Currently, users will get an email if they are @mentioned. Emails for updates are tied to whether the user has selected the watching options I referenced above. The two appear to be independent of each other.

kpink October 23, 2019

yes but do they only get the update if the update includes the @mention or once they are mentioned on a page they get updates anytime anyone updates anything on that page

thanks

12 votes
Jeremy Murray-Wakefield January 21, 2019

The problem with these solutions is that they disable notifications entirely. I have no problem with notifications within Confluence itself - I just don't want that stuff pouring into my main email inbox throughout the working day. 

I much prefer to go to confluence at a time convenient to me, and use the notification inbox at the top right of the screen to catch up on things.

The only way I can see to achieve this (which I do currently) is to have an Outlook rule to automatically throw everything from confluence into my Deleted Items folder.

I would prefer an email on/off switch in the preferences though.

Jan Stähle November 7, 2019

Vote +1 - is it really true that Notifications by mail are set by the same option than "in Confluence notifications"? 

Joel Young November 19, 2019

++ this is a GDPR nightmare for small businesses. whole pages being duplicated. email inboxes containing old/out of date data. The potential because we are in the cloud for users to use personal emails and have sensitive data sent unencrypted to personal mail boxes.... How do we get someone to look at this? @AnnWorley 

Like # people like this
6 votes
Sherri Netherby-Cox May 26, 2016

Really?  That's pretty terrible actually - MOST of my users are complaining about this stuff - its way more efficient for me to fix it ONCE for everybody.  I am really starting to hate having a Cloud instance (at a previous company we had a Server install).   It seems as though all the stuff that makes JIRA and Confluence really great is just crippled on Cloud installs.

Sorry Nic - I don't mean to complain at you  - I really, truly appreciate that you take the time to answer so many questions smile

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2016

Nope, I understand.  Lack of flexibility like this is one of the weaknesses of Cloud.

Like # people like this
Luc Debliquis August 24, 2017

This email notifications spamming is terrible.
You can manage space watches from any page you admin (good luck to find it by yourself :p)

image.png

Like # people like this
Karen Hayden September 18, 2017

I am an administrator of a space, but once I get to Manage Watchers, I cannot remove any of the other users.  Is that even a feature?

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 18, 2017

Hey there, Karen. It is a feature: Manage Watchers

If you are a space admin, you should be able to remove a user by clicking on the little trash can next to their name. I look forward to hearing whether that works for you.

If it doesn't work, please let us know whether you are on Cloud or server and if server, what version.

Like Deleted user likes this
Karen Hayden September 18, 2017

Yes I have space admin permissions.  But when I get to the Manage Watcher pop-up, there are no trash can icons (even if I hover over the user name) that would allow me to remove another user (from watching the space).

I am currently a server install with version 5.9.4.  (Using latest Firefox as browser.)

Any suggestions as to how to get the trash cans to appear, that would be exactly what I've been looking for!!

Thanks!!

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 19, 2017

Thanks for mentioning your Confluence version. The ability to manage space watchers was added in Confluence 5.10: Allow for adding or removing a Space Watch on behalf on another user

Please consider upgrading soon, to get the manage watchers functionality, and also because Confluence 5.9.x will be reaching end of life status 11/24/2017. Here are more details on that: Atlassian Support End of Life Policy

1 vote
Rochelle Levy October 23, 2019

The way I have ended up solving this for my team  (to at least reduce the amount of email notifications) is that when people publish a page they can choose to 'publish' by selecting the publish button or select 'publish without notifying watchers' in the three dots icon dropdown for a new page or for an old page, there is a checkbox at the bottom of the page to select where you can decide to notify watchers. 

Peter Gao June 21, 2021

would be nicer to have each one setup their email setting to block email from confluence with certain title or some pattern.

1 vote
Rochelle Levy July 11, 2019

Hello, has anyone found a solution for this, I have a user who is complaining about being spammed. he receives a notification every time I create a new page, edit a page etc. He has turned off all his email notifications and now not watching the space until I actually have a solution. Please help

Steve Terelmes July 11, 2019

Not yet - I teach Confluence classes at least once a month. So far there is no single solution to this problem. You can piece together solutions as suggested above. But some emails still sneak through...

This needs a serious, simple solution from Atlassian in future versions. 

Like # people like this
Wayne Cochran July 11, 2019

My morning routine is to get a cup of coffee and delete Confluence emails. I guess the designers didn't take large teams into account. 

Rochelle Levy July 15, 2019

Not ideal ... but good to know, thank you :) Just a bit of an annoyance when we're trying to get people to change their habits and do things differently. 

Peter Gao August 7, 2019

I am admin, I had ask my IT to completely block all email from confluence@COMPANY.atlassian.net because everyone agreed that every single email from it is deemed junk.

Oh, we use slack to receive notifications which user can fully customize how they see the email.

Like # people like this
Nancy Shao
Atlassian Team
June 9, 2022

Hi @Rochelle Levy @Steve Terelmes @Wayne Cochran @Peter Gao I'm a PM on Confluence notifications and am currently working on the roadmap to make sure we we can get the best experience possible for notifications in the future. 

I'd love to get your thoughts and feedback if you're interested in talking with me for about 30-45 min on your use case around email notifications. Feel free to book a slot using this Calendly link if you'd like to chat. 

What’s involved? * Sessions are 30-45 minutes long and are conducted over video-conference.

• During the session, we'll chat and get to know you and the work you do in Confluence. 
  • As a token of our appreciation, you'll receive an e-gift card worth $75 USD within 5 days of completing your session.
1 vote
Ashlee Toney May 7, 2018

@AnnWorley - We have this same issue and have tried several things. We have turned off the recommended updates email in admin settings. We have had individual users go into settings and deselect all of the settings, and nothing is working. They all still receive emails when someone creates a new page. We have several people constantly creating new pages so this spams the users like crazy (today in a couple of hours, someone will be creating 80 pages of documentation).

How do we proceed? If they all "unwatch" the space - what are the consequences of this? (i.e. what do they lose) We were hesitant to have them no longer watch the page as we wanted each user to be notified of certain things, but at this point, we cannot figure out how to be notified of what we ONLY need to be notified on.

Thoughts?

0 votes
Sonja Haavisto June 21, 2021

Hi, 

I am trying to find a solution to this but it seems like there is none. 

Is it possible to watch a page and not get the emails? I'd like to only have notifications in Confluence and not get spammed all the time. 

0 votes
Michelle Bachmann July 18, 2019

I use the add-on "No Email Storm."  It's a great option and your don't have to mess with the other email issues.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/42684/no-email-storm?hosting=server&tab=overview

0 votes
Alma G October 23, 2018

@AnnWorley we have on demand version of JIRA and when I go to Profile I do not see any Settings. I have only Summary. Can you pls advise? We would want also to sett notifications for @mentions only. 

0 votes
Ashlee Toney June 25, 2018

We found a work around for this. We had our employees stop "watching" the space, and turn off all emails (in their individual account settings).

Then we just tag them on the documents (Ex. meeting notes) or we send out a link in Slack as needed.

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
June 25, 2018

Hi Ashlee,

The purpose of watching a space is to receive notifications for it, so it makes sense that ceasing to watch spaces reduced notifications.

Watch Pages, Spaces and Blogs

You can 'watch' a Confluence page, blog post or space. Confluence will then send you a notification email whenever anyone updates your watched content.

Happy to hear you found a strategy that works for your team.

Thanks,

Ann

0 votes
Austin Suchoval May 1, 2018

Hello,

I am new to Atlassian Cloud confluence.  I've never been a site administrator so forgive my repeat questions.   Can we confirm, there is no way for an individual user to un-subscribe from email notifications? 

I am building out the base to multiple spaces and my team says I am spamming them left and right.  I think it is happening even when I un-check the notify watchers page. 

Thank you!

Austin 

PS.  I a thrilled to have this product up and running, just getting it going.   

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
May 1, 2018

Hi Austin,

I am thrilled to hear you have it up and running and are getting it set up, too.

Users may opt out of most emails by clicking their profile>settings then choosing email. As you can see from the screen shot it is possible to turn off everything but @mentions:

Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 3.46.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 3.46.27 PM.pngThanks,

Ann

Austin Suchoval May 1, 2018

This is perfect!  The one thing I would want them not to turn off are the @mentions so that works.  Thanks again. 

George Samuels June 24, 2018

Hi there, we've done this on our Server install, but users are still receiving email notifications (I checked my own emails and it seems like I am as well). 

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
June 25, 2018

I understand you un-ticked all the email options in your profile but still get notifications. Please let me know which activities in Confluence trigger the notifications so I can research more. If you can paste a copy of one of the notifications with personal information redacted that may give us a hint.

Wayne Cochran January 7, 2019

i uncheck everything and I still get a deluge of emails. Super annoying feature. I spend every morning deleting a ton of these emails. 

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events