Why can't I disable Confluence email notifications....

Some of my users have complained about the "chattiness" of the Confluence notifications system.   So, I googled for the solution to this problem.

This was the solution that came up via Google

Resolution
  1. Navigate to Confluence administrators menu.
  2. Navigate to "Manage Add-on" menu.
  3. Choose "System Plugins" from the drop down list.
  4. Find and click "Confluence Content Notification" plugin.
  5. Click the "<Number> of <Number> Modules enabled" button.
  6. From there, find and disable the following modules.

When I tried to do this in my Cloud installation, I am unable to even select the modules listed - in gray text it says:  Module cannot be modified.  

Anybody have any thoughts on how I can go about disabling notifications for these events?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote

You've found the wrong solution - that's about killing email off completely, and only on Server installations.

For Cloud, you don't have the option to turn modules off, it's a restricted function (because you could cripple it and Atlassian Cloud support really don't want to have to fix that sort of mistake - in general, not just the email part)

The answer for Cloud is to get your users to work through https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/email-notifications-145162.html and turn down/off the frequency of adds, autowatches and so-on.

Really?  That's pretty terrible actually - MOST of my users are complaining about this stuff - its way more efficient for me to fix it ONCE for everybody.  I am really starting to hate having a Cloud instance (at a previous company we had a Server install).   It seems as though all the stuff that makes JIRA and Confluence really great is just crippled on Cloud installs.

Sorry Nic - I don't mean to complain at you  - I really, truly appreciate that you take the time to answer so many questions smile

Nope, I understand.  Lack of flexibility like this is one of the weaknesses of Cloud.

This email notifications spamming is terrible.
You can manage space watches from any page you admin (good luck to find it by yourself :p)

image.png

I am an administrator of a space, but once I get to Manage Watchers, I cannot remove any of the other users.  Is that even a feature?

Ann Worley Atlassian Team Sep 18, 2017

Hey there, Karen. It is a feature: Manage Watchers

If you are a space admin, you should be able to remove a user by clicking on the little trash can next to their name. I look forward to hearing whether that works for you.

If it doesn't work, please let us know whether you are on Cloud or server and if server, what version.

Yes I have space admin permissions.  But when I get to the Manage Watcher pop-up, there are no trash can icons (even if I hover over the user name) that would allow me to remove another user (from watching the space).

I am currently a server install with version 5.9.4.  (Using latest Firefox as browser.)

Any suggestions as to how to get the trash cans to appear, that would be exactly what I've been looking for!!

Thanks!!

Ann Worley Atlassian Team Sep 19, 2017

Thanks for mentioning your Confluence version. The ability to manage space watchers was added in Confluence 5.10: Allow for adding or removing a Space Watch on behalf on another user

Please consider upgrading soon, to get the manage watchers functionality, and also because Confluence 5.9.x will be reaching end of life status 11/24/2017. Here are more details on that: Atlassian Support End of Life Policy

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Friday in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

287 views 11 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you