hiding Browse, Tools to certain users in Confluence 4

Hello,

My group is building a product manual/knowledge base for our customers. We want it to be read-only for them, which was easy to set up, but there were a few more capabilities that are proving harder to remove. At this point we just need to hide a few items, namely Browse, Tools and the little edit link in a user's profile.

Browse and Tools need to be hidden mostly to keep users from poking at them and getting confused, we've used the Menu Manager plugin to remove any potential problem items from both lists.

Some of our users will have shared logins, so it is imperative that they not be able to edit their profiles and change their passwords. We haven't found a way to block the capability entirely, but hiding the link should keep them from trying.

We've been looking for solutions for a while and haven't had any luck. We need all of these features for our own internal use, so we can't turn them off completely. If anyone can point us in the right direction, that would be great.

~Ashley

3 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Ashley,

Here I found a possible workaround, sadly you will need to do a little development, but it might work!

Check here: http://forums.atlassian.com/thread.jspa?threadID=36668

And here it is link for a plugin:

http://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=179439020

That plugin indicates you can manage the menu items, not sure if it is that what you're looking for.

This is the plugin:

https://plugins.atlassian.com/plugins/net.customware.confluence.plugin.menumanager

Hmm... Maybe it is because of the Confluence version, as you can see that post is from 2009, so I'm sure it would work but for an older confluence version.

Yeah, we found that too but weren't able to get it working, looks like at least part of it has deprecated since it was posted. Thanks anyway though!

Yes, we have both of those plugins. Menu Manager allowed us to thin out many unwanted items, but it works across all groups at once. If I used that to disable Browse and Tools I wouldn't be able to use or see them myself, and I still need them.

Visibility has been a bit of a let down so far, it uses macros to hide page content, since it's all wiki markup I can't use the hide-if macro in custom layouts. All the things I want to hide are not within the reach of Visibility it seems.

And yeah, if we had an older version of confluence that first link probably would work, unfortunately it's been less than functional ;)

Annoying Tool button! I've searched a lot but I really didn't found anything! :(

Well, we've *hopefully* found ways to disable browse and profile editing, but hiding that Tools button remains an annoying blemish with no discernable solution. So, let's focus on that, hiding the Tools button from certain users/groups.

Ashley

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Tuesday in Confluence

Add-on evaluation with confluence templates

Atlassian market place contains number of Apps/Addons which improves the capability of out of the box Atlassian products. It is good to follow a plugin evaluation process before install add-ons. So t...

156 views 12 6
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you