dependencies bitween create page and attachement space permissions

Winfried Rothenberg February 10, 2021

I let create suppages with ConfiForms and revoke the edit permissions from the creator and set f.e. me as the new editor. This works fine, all done with the macro and IFTTT Rules.

The users must have create page permission in the space, if not they cannot create a page with the submit button of the form. 

I exclude all others except me from editing this form page, so nobody can change it.

This all works fine, the new pages are got  restricted rights with only me as the editor.

The users can view the new pages and write comments BUT they can´t attach any files or pictures. 

Why depends the permission to attach something in the comments on the editor restrictions?  The users got the attach rights in space permissions as well. 

I haven´t any idea to twist and solve it. Anyone else?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 10, 2021

Hi Winfried

We can also continue our earlier discussion (in support queue) here

I will add one good answer from Nic - https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/Confluence-requires-page-add-permission-to-attach-files-to/qaq-p/152389 

Hope it helps and may be others in the community have something more to add...

Alex

Winfried Rothenberg February 11, 2021

Hi Alex, okay, thats a clean explanation and shows that this isn´t only my idea.

From my point of view, it is bad, but behind the scenery, a Attachemnt to a comment is indead an attachemnt to the page.

But it explains not the disharmony in the handling.

Let me explain this, especially what the bad sideeffect to ConfiForms it is. 

I never sad it´s a mistake from ConfiForms, but it affects the whole handling.

A form that can create pages (the user must have creation rights) isn´t useable, when exact this user (or anyone else)cannot  put attachments on this created page, even the new page is restricted for certain reasons.

I can solve this, and this is definly the disharmonie, if I revoke the user from create page rights, (the attachment  rights remains allowed)

the user CAN attach pictures to the new page, as long the page hasn´t any restrictions.

But he CANNOT edit the page

AND he cannot make new pages, because it is not allowed for him

I don´t understand this behavior.

Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2021

I dont quite understand this, sorry

Your user has permissions to create pages, right?

And when the page is created this user has edit permissions and can upload attachments to (created) page and can also edit this page, right? This is logical.

If you revoke the edit permissions on the page then the user will not be able to edit the page and neither to upload the attachments. This is also logical, right?

All this has a prerequisite - user must have space permissions to create attachments. 

Where is the "disharmonie"?

Alex

I wrote create permissions,  if I revoke the rights, I mean in space permissions, not on the page. On the page are edit rights and both of them are obviously different. 

The user cannot edit the page but can attach files, because of extra rights for attachement (in space permissions). That is definitely a disharmonie in comparison to the statement a attachement is an edit to the page and the user must have edit rights. So it looks like this is handled different. Do You understand now what I mean? 

For me create rights and edit rights are handled rather different.

Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 11, 2021

Are you saying a user who has no edit permissions on the page can add an attachment to that page?

(space level permissions to allow attachments just enable this functionality, but page permissions can restrict that. this is how I understand this)

the user has only the following three space permissions:

can view, can comment, can attach

if a page isn´t restricted at all, the user can attach a file to a comment.

but he cannot edit the page.

Thats fine for me and makes sense, because I want collect comments and pictures and so on from all users in the company on pages and spaces they don´t has edit or creation rights. AND thats essential for Confluence, thats the "religion" of Confluence.

But to use ConfiForms, even if I wanna create pages, not only use buttons and set records to one page, these "religion" blocks the useability, because I have to give create rights to all users. If not, they cannot press the submit button without a permission-warning.

Here comes a great feature of ConfiForms into the field: revoke the edit rights from the user who creates the new side and set f.e. only an admin to edit the page.

From this moment nobody, except the admin, can attach anything to the new page, because the new page has now edit restrictions!

So this makes  sense only for read only sides like clean informations, nothing is to change except from admins.

But for my requirements, it´s not useable.

Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 11, 2021

----

But to use ConfiForms, even if I wanna create pages, not only use buttons and set records to one page, these "religion" blocks the useability, because I have to give create rights to all users. If not, they cannot press the submit button without a permission-warning.

----

Well, because you want to create pages by using ConfiForms, but your user has no permissions to do so. If you cannot create a page by normal Confluence means (because of insufficient permissions), you cannot create it through ConfiForms.

I suggest to open a support ticket with Atlassian to ask for the clarification.

Yes, now we back on track.

Regards from Berlin

Winfried

Winfried Rothenberg February 12, 2021

Hi Alex, I thought a long time yesterday about this issue and got some clear understandings, late, but I got it.

I began with a complete different and maybe wrong point of view to my  project with ConfiForms.

ConfiForms dropped into my project during the last stage of the whole project with a Comala workflow, I worked on for weeks.

I was happy to solve some things much easier then with Comala and forget complete about the structure how ConfiForms actually works.

That is the point, I was focused onto the "new" page I created. The new page connot be a static page with records and is only a representation of what a user submit. So I understand now the twist do You got with my requirements. 

I was actaually thinkin, that the new page is a static page, created from the input from the user and the records where only a database on the other side......thats completely my mistake.

this day, I think over completely and want to use ConfiForms as it is and maybe this is a better new way for me...but the idea and twist with the attachement rights stayes the same

Regards

Winfried

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events