Confluence requires page 'add' permission to attach files to comments?

Christopher Lynn
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 13, 2017

Confluence requires page 'add' permission to attach files to comments.

The group I have has attachments 'add' permission.

The user in the group cannot add attachments to the page or comments (which is more important).

The user group has All, Comments (Add), Attachments (Add) permissions.

I am required to add the user individually and give them Page 'Add' permission to add attachments. This is not show in the documentation I've found:

i.e. https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/upload-files-139513.html

And I need the attachment permissions to allow attachments, as I do not want the users to be able to page 'Add' or 'Edit'.

Thank you.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 13, 2017

Attachments are considered to be content, so it makes sense that a user has to have page edit rights so they can add the content. 

There is nothing you can do about this, unless you're willing to start hacking the internals of Confluence's permission coding.

Christopher Lynn
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 13, 2017

ok, but in all the documentation I've found from Atlassian indicates that if a user has attachment 'add' that is all that is needed. Adding an attachment to a comment is far from allowing a user to edit or create a page. I've read that adding an attachment to a comment, stores it behind the scenes as a page attachment but is allowed in comments for a user with 'add' attachment.

Makes no sense to give a user 'add' to pages (to create and edit...) when all you want a user to be able to do is add a file to a comment.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 13, 2017

I think you've given yourself your own explanation here - attachments are not "added to comments".  Attachments are added to the page, so they're content.  You can refer to them in comments, but they're still page elements.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events