couldn't attach an excel file to the confluence page?

Oshada Ranasinghe January 18, 2023

Error rendering macro 'viewxls' : Failed to retrieve attachment with name Data dictionary.xlsx

Hi Guys,

I tried to embed an excel file on the page via a macro but it gave me the above error. There is no issue with the filename and the excel sheet has been attached to the page

Any Suggestions?

6 answers

0 votes
Brandon Schaeffer September 11, 2023

Try changing your file extension to a .xls.  Once I did this, I was able to embed without issues.  

0 votes
stephanie lollar February 17, 2023

I figured out the issue here - You must click to download the latest/current version of the document before editing. I was clicking on the file name itself which was giving me the error after editing. I don't know why it makes a difference; seems like a bug to me.

0 votes
Gaby
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 17, 2023

Bestimmte Formatierungen, Gruppierungen, Filter oder auch Links zu anderen Excel-Tabellen innerhalb der ursprünglichen Excel-Tabelle können bei "Rendern..." zu Fehlermeldungen führen.

Zunächst empfehle ich immer, alle versteckten Zeilen/Spalten wieder einzublenden, sowie bestehende Gruppierungen zu entfernen. Außerdem sollten alle vorhandenen Filter entfernt werden.

Vielleicht helfen Ihnen diese Informationen.

0 votes
Oki__PolarisOffice_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 16, 2023

@Oshada Ranasinghe 

Our app, Polaris spreadsheet allows you to embed an existing excel files in a confluence page and directly edit it.
It offers full editing capabilities for excel files and provides an advanced view mode that allows you to use filters, scroll, and find. Please check the details.
A month's free trial is available now! 

Atlassian Marketplace 

Stacy Monnahan September 26, 2023

Unfortunately it's too pricey for us we have a LOT of users so anything over $0.10 is going to get denied. :(  

0 votes
stephanie lollar February 15, 2023

I am also facing this issue. I have an existing page with an attachment and using the excel macro. I downloaded the file, made some changes, saved. I uploaded and attached the file to the page in Confluence. When I view the page now it shows the error "error rendering macro view.xls".

I do not have underscores or any special characters in my file or page name. 

0 votes
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2023

Hi @Oshada Ranasinghe - welcome to the community! 
It looks like this question was answered in the community a while back. There are a couple of reasons this may be happening. Do you happen to have a special character in the page title or file name? That may be why you are getting this error. Try removing the special characters (or even numbers) in your page title or file name and try again. If this does not resolve your problem, please let me know and I'll try to help more.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/View-Macro-not-recognizing-attachment/qaq-p/876906 

stephanie lollar February 17, 2023

For me this is the 4th revision of this document - it worked previously.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events