cannot delete a space

Patrycjusz Konkol April 12, 2022

Hello,

I've got a problem with a confluence space. In Space settings there is no option to delete it. In any other space I've got buttons for archive or delete but in this particular one space there are no controls for those operations. In first section: Manage space I've got only 2 options: Space details and Export space.

Is it possible to somehow delete this space?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2022

@Patrycjusz Konkol do you mind posting a screenshot? Have you tried in another browser? Perhaps the rendering of the text and images is being disrupted while you are loading the page.

Patrycjusz Konkol April 12, 2022

Sure, I'm posting two images - one from space which cannot be deleted and the other one  from another space which seems to be OK.

I've already tried another browser and even different OS. This is a free tier so I do not have any privileges set - I'm an administrator of all spaces.

confl_nok.pngconfl_ok.png

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2022

@Patrycjusz Konkol it's because you are not an admin on that space. I just logged in as a different user in my organization to check and the permissions of the user that is not an admin in a space that I am an admin on match what you are seeing.

Under Space Details you should see the admins of the space you are trying to make changes to and can request they update your level of access on the space.

Hope this helps.

Patrycjusz Konkol April 13, 2022

OK, that was my guess too - lack of privileges - but how can I obtain administrator rights to this space when I'm the only user within this account? How it happened that I'm not the administrator of this space? : )

As on presented screenshots I do not have space permission group in mentioned space.

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 13, 2022

@Patrycjusz Konkol what tier are you on? Free, Standard, Premium or Enterprise? Depending on the tier you may have tools available to help troubleshoot this issue. Have you always been the only user in the entire account? Have you ever created other users? 

I'm on a Free tier, I'm the only user now, I might create additional users but I'm the owner of this particular space (I'm the one who created it as it is stated in space details).

@Andy GladstoneOne more addition:

Microsoft Teams for Confluence Cloud, Former user, Chat Notifications

those are administrators of this space which I cannot delete.

And here is a set of administrators in space created a month ago:

Chat Notifications, Confluence Analytics (System), Patrycjusz Konkol, Microsoft Teams for Confluence Cloud, Chat Notifications, Opsgenie Incident Timeline, Patrycjusz Konkol, Trello

Might it be that during some upgrade between versions something happen and my old space from Oct 2019 did not get some updates needed to manage this space correctly?

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 13, 2022

Any reason you are listed in this twice? Is it possible you have two separate accounts/logins?

Chat Notifications, Confluence Analytics (System), Patrycjusz Konkol, Microsoft Teams for Confluence Cloud, Chat Notifications, Opsgenie Incident Timeline, Patrycjusz Konkol, Trello

No idea. But this space works fine. The other one is the one which I cannot delete. There is no name among administrators.

Looks like this is the same issue:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/Can-t-delete-Space-due-to-lack-of-permissions/qaq-p/1229846

bug looks like it is still in the code.

Patrycjusz Konkol April 14, 2022

I think I've got a solution

I've made a few changes at once so I need to add all I've made:

* I've enabled trial for standard tier (this does not help as I was still not able to manage privileges on space level - they were still not visible)

* I've created a ticket related with this case and support said that I've been added to confluence-users (this probably did not solve the issue as confluence-users does not own or administrate spaces)

* I've opened Confluence Settings and went to Space Permissions; In section Individual Spaces all good spaces are visible with a link called Manage Permissions, the broken one had an option to: "Recover Privileges" and so I did - as a result my name has been added to the space administrators and now I'm able to administrate this space (and delete it too)

@Andy Gladstonethanks for questions/suggestions

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 14, 2022

Wow. Thank you for sharing. I have never come across that before and will need to look further in to 'Recover Privileges'. I appreciate you coming back and updating the post.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events