Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't move comments with pages in Confluence

Mick Davidson August 29, 2012

Good afternoon,

we're in the process of moving all the content out of a number of spaces into one new space.

However, when testing this I found that the comments on the pages I want to move are not migrated with the page.

There's a few clunky ways around this that are acceptable for pages with only one or two comments, but I have pages with comments going back five years. In one case there are 107 comments on a page, whilst other can have 40 or 50.

I don't have the time or enthusiasm to go through all the comments/pages and fix this manually, so is there any other way of sorting this out so that I can either move the comments with everything else, or convert them into a file that I can attach to the same page?

I've tried exporting to Word and PDF, but these don't save the comments. Saving as HTML does but it also saves everything else, which, while this isn't ideal, it does provide a solution.

While we're here, am I right in saying that, apart from the comments, EVERYTHING that is part of a page (graphics, links, attachments, page history etc) will be copied across?

Cheers.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
SarahA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 30, 2012

Mick

As Bob says, the comments should go with the pages when you move the page. One thing to check: Does the username (the one that you are using to move the pages) have permission to add comments in the destination space?

Cheers, Sarah

Mick Davidson August 30, 2012

Bob/Sarah,

Thanks for your input. I was moving the content to spaces that only I have permission to see at the moment. I was hiding them to avoid confusion, but it looks like I'll have to unhide them, which isn't a big deal.

What happens with comments made by users whose accounts have been disabled?

Cheers.

Mick Davidson August 30, 2012

I've tried this and it worked as suggested, so thanks for your help. :)

0 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 29, 2012

Moving the page from the UI takes the comments with. So, is the problem that you don't want to go through the UI to do this because of the number of pages? If some use movePage together with runFromPageList or similar to automate that using Confluence Command Line Interface

Mick Davidson August 29, 2012

Bob,

thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

At the risk of sounding completely ignorant, I was using the Tools/Move functionality to do this.

I'm not technical enough to use the suggestions you've added above, but I know someone who might be, so I'll pass the info on.

The number of pages isn't (or wasn't - now I'm wondering if it ought to be...) a problem.

When we ran a test to migrate all the content from a small space (using Tools/Move on the Home page so that we could move everything in the hierarchy in one go) this worked without a hitch.

All we had to do afterwards was rename it to remove 'Home' and we were finished. But that was before we noticed the comments hadn't been moved.

Our wiki is hosted by a 3rd party, do you think that has anything to do with it?

Cheers

Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 30, 2012

If comments aren't moved, then that is a bug you should report to Atlassian or your provider. I have never had a problem with comments not being moved with the page.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events