Windows or Linux for Hyper-V Install

I am brand new to Atlassian, but am prepping to install Confluence and Jira. We are a Hyper-V shop. I can either install Confluence within the Linux Host OS or a Windows Host OS. Any recommendations on which performs better? Any recommendations on a Linux Distro (that would only be running this)?

Thanks in advance

2 answers

1 vote
Pedro Cora Atlassian Team Jun 03, 2013

Nick,

This is really up to you. We support Windows and Linux. As a personal choice, I rather have my servers running on Linux (Ubuntu or CentOS).

Understood the decision is personal. However, I am wondering if anyone in the community as personal recommendations - annecdotal or otherwise - which is more preferable. Performance, etc. Maybe both products run identically on either Windows or Linux but just thought I would check and see.

Thanks again!

JVM runs faster on Linux. I do not believe this comes as a shock to anybody, right ?

First, the JVM primary development platform is *NIX system. Next, the architecture of Win is not very friendly with resources. Windows does not have a proper network stack (if I remember well, the loopback network is still an 'adapter'! stupid windows)

http://superuser.com/questions/278978/why-has-microsoft-never-implemented-a-loopback-interface-in-windows

I wrote once a driver for Win (based on WDM, Win98) Man, it was like shooting myself in the foot. The driver architecture is complicated, unnecessary stupid, crazy to get. In comparison, the driver architecture on Linux systems is plain and simple, and it works quite easily. I will never (ever!) get myself into WDM, that's for people who only enjoy pain.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 17, 2018 in Confluence

Color tables for a shiny Confluence page

...; ## Developed by: Alana Fernando ## Shared with love ## @param style:title=style type|type=enum|required=true|desc=Choose a style.|enumValues=Style1,Style2,Style3,Style4,Style5 ## @param alignment:title...

382 views 17 18
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you