Windows or Linux for Hyper-V Install

Nick Burns June 2, 2013

I am brand new to Atlassian, but am prepping to install Confluence and Jira. We are a Hyper-V shop. I can either install Confluence within the Linux Host OS or a Windows Host OS. Any recommendations on which performs better? Any recommendations on a Linux Distro (that would only be running this)?

Thanks in advance

2 answers

1 vote
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 3, 2013

JVM runs faster on Linux. I do not believe this comes as a shock to anybody, right ?

First, the JVM primary development platform is *NIX system. Next, the architecture of Win is not very friendly with resources. Windows does not have a proper network stack (if I remember well, the loopback network is still an 'adapter'! stupid windows)

http://superuser.com/questions/278978/why-has-microsoft-never-implemented-a-loopback-interface-in-windows

I wrote once a driver for Win (based on WDM, Win98) Man, it was like shooting myself in the foot. The driver architecture is complicated, unnecessary stupid, crazy to get. In comparison, the driver architecture on Linux systems is plain and simple, and it works quite easily. I will never (ever!) get myself into WDM, that's for people who only enjoy pain.

1 vote
Pedro Cora
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 3, 2013

Nick,

This is really up to you. We support Windows and Linux. As a personal choice, I rather have my servers running on Linux (Ubuntu or CentOS).

Nick Burns June 3, 2013

Understood the decision is personal. However, I am wondering if anyone in the community as personal recommendations - annecdotal or otherwise - which is more preferable. Performance, etc. Maybe both products run identically on either Windows or Linux but just thought I would check and see.

Thanks again!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events