Will "Revoke site access" do what I need it to here?

Alexa Llibre January 13, 2021

Hello!

I'm new to my organization and Atlassian, so thanks in advance for any help! Some details are below:

• I have a user who has two accounts, same name, under two different emails in our domain. They've requested that we modify/adjust the older account due to the confusion and mix-ups that are happening between the two accounts.
  • Both accounts have access to Confluence, but they are reasonably certain the older account does not have content/data associated with it.
  • I am a site admin of our Confluence Cloud instance, but not an org admin.

I saw that merging accounts is not an option, so am looking into how to close out the old account (though my preference is not to delete the account). I'm seeing resources on revoking site access, revoking product access, deactivating accounts - I am wondering what the differences between all of these options are (and there might be other options, too), and what would be the best to do in this scenario. Because I'm not an org admin I know I can't deactivate the account, and was wondering if the "Revoke site access" option (shown here) is suitable.Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 7.28.21 PM.png

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Crandell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2021

Hi and welcome to the community!

A quick search on other Q&A's, I found this link. Does this answer your question or do you need more breakdown?

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Difference-between-Deactivating-a-user-and-revoking-Application/qaq-p/667088

Alexa Llibre January 14, 2021

Thanks for sharing that, Stephen (and for the welcome)! I saw that this compares the deactivation process to revoking application access, but doesn't mention what revoking site access does, which is the other option I was wondering about. Do you have any information on site access revocation?

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 15, 2021

With product access you can control which products the user should have access to. Given the example you are using Jira and Confluence in your site - User A could have access to Jira, User B to Confluence, User C to both.
By revoking site access the user will not be able anymore to use the complete site (think of Jira + Confluence).
Other than removing a user from a site: the user will be removed permanently (this time they also do not count against the bill as for licensed users).

Alexa Llibre January 18, 2021

Thanks for walking through this, Daniel! Once site access is revoked for a user, what happens to content they've created or places they are tagged? Can you still see their old account name or is that no longer the case? I'm assuming they can no longer be tagged in new pages.

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 18, 2021

The content should stay like it is but tagging (mention) is not possible anymore as far as I know - but please double check.

tanhv July 25, 2021

@Daniel Ebers We still can tag(mention) ex-staff. It so confuse when some users have same name with ex-staffs in my org. I requested a solution how can we control this but no Atlassian doesn't have that function :((

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 25, 2021

Seeing a closed Suggestion (https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-34192) this should work since a long time now - probably you could check if they are indeed inactive.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events