Why my question spam ? after edit

gaurav September 11, 2017

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
September 11, 2017

@Gaurav Dubey thank you for the alert! I have released your post from the spam quarantine. Sorry about that. 

mhulse January 3, 2018

So, do you guys regularly check for spam that isn't spam or do we need to create a new question to get it removed from spam? I just had this happen to me, and all of these kinds of questions don't say "we regularly check the spam folder and fix any non-spam questions".

Maybe what you guys could do is, on the page that shows the spam tag (and no question) is have a message that explains why a message is showing as spam. From there, give us an email address to contact; this would maybe clear up some frustration and stop people from posting "why is my questions in spam" questions. :D

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
January 3, 2018

@mhulse moderators and admins do check the spam quarantine regularly -- I just released your post from quarantine. 

We're working to improve the experience by posting some kind of message for you when your post is being held for moderation (rather than just sucking your message into the void). We're also making some improvements on the back-end so it's easier and faster for us to moderate content. Not sure of the timing on these fixes, but they are coming.

Adding some kind of way for you to ping an admin is a good idea too! For future reference, communitymanagers@atlassian.com will work. 

And I will add some information about this to the FAQ in the meantime. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2018

This is something I raised at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/COMMUNITY-59 ages ago, and is still in progress, although the focus is on improving the filters rather than documenting them for us.

Some of the spam-weighting rules are clear - similar or identical posts in several places, short posts with no real content, etc, but the usual one is stuff with lots of links or code in it.  That's easy for us humans, at a glance we can see if it's relevant to a question, but spam filters don't understand content, so they struggle.

As for checking, yes, Monique and her team do check, and so do a lot of the champions.  But it's a dedicated list, so when I remember to do it (either because of a post asking, or a reminder like yours here, or as part of the routine), it's a single slightly-more-than-daily check, so things can wait another 24 hours before I get to them!

mhulse January 3, 2018

Thanks so much @Monique vdB and @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-, I really appreciate the help and information! You all rock! If it is of any help, the way my message got marked as spam is due to me editing my question a few (I think it was my 3rd edit) times in a row. Normally I do this if I forgot a word, or want to change punctuation, etc. Anyway, thanks so much for your help folks, it's much appreciated. :)

Monique vdB
Community Manager
January 4, 2018

You're very welcome @mhulse and thanks for the kind words!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events