Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't we use Excerpts or NOTES in lists?

Richard Hurt December 15, 2022

I want to add elements to lists but the editor won't let me.  For example, I create lists of steps and want to include things like NOTES, or WARNINGS on certain steps.  But you can't include those elements in a list.  I recently wanted to include a set of commands (stored in an Excerpt macro) into a list, but that wasn't possible either.

What is the process to get access to more elements in a list?  Right now, I think I'm limited to text and images in a list.  I would like to be able to expand that to everything (or almost everything) in Confluence. 

Thanx!

Richard

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

How are you implementing "lists" in your content?

Richard Hurt December 17, 2022

Thanks!

I'm just using the normal "list" type in Confluence.  It's easy to replicate this problem in the "new" editor:

Steps:

1. Start a list (1. 2. 3. ...)
  2. Type in some text for the items in the list
  3. Try to add a NOTE, or WARNING, or Excerpt to the list
  4. Notice that it doesn't add it inside the list (like a code block) but at the bottom of the list, after all the members of the list.

Maybe I'm missing something and it's easy to do, but I haven't found a way to do it yet.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2022

Sorry, what is a "normal list type"?  Space list, Page list, attachments?   If you type /list to get the range of macros you might be talking about, can you tell us which one you are using?

Richard Hurt December 17, 2022

I'm just using a normal numbered list, like you would for Steps in a HowTo or something.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 18, 2022

But what do you mean by "normal numbered list"?  What is that in Confluence?  What macro or function are you using to create these lists?

Richard Hurt December 18, 2022

I generally just type a number-period or a asterisk and then start typing my content out.  However, I think it's the same thing as typing "/list" and choosing either the "Numbered list" or "Bullet list" option.

image.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 18, 2022

Ahh!  Thanks, that makes sense now!

I'm afraid the "new editor" doesn't support the nesting of formatting sections (it's still got a long way to go before it becomes as useful as the old editor)

Like Richard Hurt likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events