Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are the toolbar/formatting options for Overviews and Pages different?

Robert H. May 1, 2019

From the first moment I started using Confluence, I found that the formatting for Overviews (within each Space) had a different set of tools and options then Pages did. This was a bit odd, but at least consistent.

Recently I created a new Space, and decided to populate the Overview to find that it suddenly had the same formatting tools as Pages.

When I compare it and other Overview toolbars, they look and function differently. For whatever reason, this Overview had the formatting tools of a Page, and all Overviews prior use a different set of tools.

In my effort to keep things consistant, I am pulling my hair out over this sudden change and difference between each of these screens.

Please internet, you are my only hope.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 3, 2019

Hello Robert,

Welcome to Community! It's nice to meet you.

I assume that from your post you might be referring to Confluence Cloud. Could you confirm?

An overview page is basically just a regular page that has been set as the home page for a given space. When a page is an overview page, it won't be possible to save to favorites, comment, etc.

You can see below we have a number of feature requests related to missing objects on an overview page:

Can you confirm if these are the tools you are missing? Can you provide an example about the change in formatting? Are there specific ones you'd like to see that you weren't able to find from the list of requests above?

Thank you for your help!

Regards,

Shannon

Robert H. May 3, 2019

Hello Shannon, thank goodness you appeared.

Yes, I am using the Confluence Cloud (browser based) service.

I assumed the Overview page was basically just a regular Page but with a unique position in each Space. Which is why I was initially confused that the Overview and Page editing view and options were so different. However, up to this point it had at least been consistent.

One notable difference was the Overview page had a Page Layout option, which would allow you to create columns of varying types. Which looks like this:

Screen Shot 2019-05-03 at 11.20.37 AM.png

The Pages on the other hand had a simpler set of options, which included the Publishing button being set at the top of the screen, rather than the bottom.

Screen Shot 2019-05-03 at 11.21.59 AM.pngWhile odd, this was at least consistent, but now each time I create a new Space both the Overview and the regular Pages have the same editor tools (second image above).

I read somewhere that there are two different views, but none describe how to switch between them other than "click the tab" which frankly does not make sense. 

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 6, 2019

Hi Robert,

Right now, Confluence Cloud is rolling out a new editor, and you're seeing this in the example when the Publish button is at the top of the page. For more details have a look:

You can make sure to choose the new editor when creating pages from certain templates, or when choosing Try the new editing experience upon creating a new page.

Screenshot 2019-05-06 at 15.16.31.png

As far as I am aware it's currently not possible to switch existing pages to the new editor, but you can create a new page as a workaround and paste the page content.

I hope that clarifies things! One more thing, is that the new editor is still missing some of the features of the old editor. If you want to see what those are, have a look at our roadmap below:

Let me know if you have any questions about that.

Regards,

Shannon

Robert H. May 6, 2019

Thank you, this does make sense.

However, I do not see the option when creating a new Page to Try the new editor experience.

Perhaps it has been rolled out to my platform and I am just going to have to try your trick?

Can I assign a new Page to be my Overview?

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
May 7, 2019

Robert,

Glad to hear everything was clear, but that's odd to me if you don't have the option. 

So when you click the plus sign on the left-hand side of Confluence, what templates are you seeing that are available?

When you create a new page using the default template, is the publish button at the top of the page or not?

As for setting another page as your overview, you sure can! You can find the instructions below:

Let me know if you have any trouble with that.

Regards,

Shannon

Robert H. May 7, 2019

These are the options I see, but if the version with Publish at the top is the new version, then perhaps it has rolled out to my platform because that is all I get now. I guess I thought it was a lesser version because it did not have all the options. Which is a real bummer, because I cannot create columns or properly left-justify, etc.

Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 11.48.08 AM.png

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
May 8, 2019

Hi Robert,

Thank you for sharing that.

So I am then gathering from your response that the Publish button is indeed at the top of all new pages you create when selecting Blank page? In that case, then it has been rolled out to your instance.

Now, for the features you want:

• Create Columns
    • Are you referring to the page layout columns? Right now it's possible to add 2-3 equal width columns. Attached below is how that looks on a Cloud instance: 

Screenshot 2019-05-08 at 16.29.14.png
    • According to our Confluence Cloud Editor Roadmap, we will soon be adding a feature that would allow you to have a wide column and a narrow column. Is this the feature you're in need of? 
  • Left Justify Content
    • We have a Full Width Mode planned for the future. This would allow you to use more real estate on your page and not have everything be centered in the middle.

There's a discussion going on here in Community where you can ask any questions you want about these new features. You can review that to learn more, and leave feedback about any other features you want to be included in those releases.

Let me know if that covers what the missing feature is, or if there's something more specific you're in need of.

Regards,

Shannon

Robert H. May 8, 2019

Okay, I think I am all sorted out then.

My last question is, once they add the Full Width Mode, will it be accessible by the existing Pages that use the new layout, or will we need to copy and paste into new Pages to get the feature?

Robert H. May 8, 2019

Another question. I just set a new Page to be an Overview, and all the other pages vanished. Did I goof?

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
May 9, 2019

Hi Robert,

As far as how the new Full Width Mode will work when it's been added, I'm not really sure. I bet you could ask that on the discussion I mentioned previously, and the development team can let you know. My assumption would be that the new features would be available when you go to edit the page.

For the missing pages, if you go to Space settings from the sidebar > Content Tools > Reorder Pages, are you able to see the missing pages? I am thinking maybe now something has been orphaned or is on the wrong tier, so you might not be seeing them. At any rate, unless you physically deleted the space or the pages, they are still there somewhere, and I can help you find them.

Regards,

Shannon

Robert H. May 9, 2019

Thank you again Shannon for all your help. I am all good to go. Is there anything else I can do to show my appreciation other than accepting your answer and upvoting it?

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
May 13, 2019

You're welcome, Robert! Happy that I was able to help you.

An upvote and accepted answer is certainly appreciated, but you can also send feedback directly to the founders from the below form:

Thank you so much and I wish you a pleasant week.

Regards,

Shannon

Like Robert H. likes this
Philip Oliver July 15, 2019

I just started using the current cloud Confluence and realized that the editing on the Overview page and "regular blank pages" is indeed significantly different.

I still don't understand why this is different after reading this thread. Also, this thread is literally the only place I've found a discussion of the difference including general googling.

The most significant difference for me, although doubtless there are other ones, is that the Overview page insert menu has an item to insert 'Files and Images' that does not exist in the "regular" page editor menu. Inserting a, say, PDF file from the current attachment list will leave a large thumbnail of the file. There is no apparent way to do this on a "regular" page.

This difference, and any others like it, is frankly perverse. There is nothing conceptually different about an "overview" page and a "regular" page that would require such a different editing capability. When will this be fixed?

Like Alex Nikolaev likes this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
July 16, 2019

Hi Philip,

To summarize this thread, we are introducing a new editor in Confluence Cloud. This has been a slow rollout over the last several months. This is the reason you've noticed a difference between the two pages. Your Overview page has been rolled out to the new editor, whereas your new pages are still using the old editor.

In both the old and new editor, you will see a Files & image icon on the toolbar which you can use to insert a file or image:

Screenshot 2019-07-16 at 11.15.38.png

In the new editor, using the Insert menu, select View more... at the bottom and you'll be launched into the Select macro dialogue where you can type the name of the macro you want to insert:

Screenshot 2019-07-16 at 11.20.28.png

I would recommend using the toolbar icon since it's much faster.

For a list of changes, see Confluence Editing Improvements. You can learn about upcoming features by checking the Confluence Cloud Editor Roadmap

We also introduced a new file viewer which is outlined in the blogpost New File Viewer for the Office and PDF Macros. This would explain why your PDF appeared different on the new pages. If you want to use the new editor when creating pages, select this option instead:

Screenshot 2019-07-16 at 11.27.15.png

Once the new editor is fully introduced, then all pages will automatically use the new editor.

I hope that's clear, but if you have any feedback feel free to join in on the ongoing conversation at Try out the new editing experience.

Take care,

Shannon

Philip Oliver July 16, 2019

Thanks for the quick response, Shannon. I don't see the "Try the new editing experience" choice when creating a new page. When I select "Blank page", the toolbar is different than the overview page and there's no apparent way to insert the new file viewer. I'll check out the links you mentioned.

Like e_capili likes this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
July 17, 2019

Thank you, Philip.

Your Cloud instance might have a slightly different configuration since this is a gradual rollout. I would recommend getting in touch with my colleagues in the Cloud support team and they can have a look at your instance for you and let you know what is possible.

Regards,

Shannon

e_capili May 12, 2020

Hi, Shannon! I experience the same thing, but it's the other way around. I have tried the new editing experience in the new pages but my overview page is still in the old editing version. I made a draft page my home page using the latest editing version and was planning to make this as the overview page. however, when I was already transferring the content to the overview page, it turned out that it is still using the old editing version. To understand, kindly see my comment here https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Bitbucket-questions/Overview-page-in-Confluence-is-not-updated/qaq-p/1376952#M54589.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
May 15, 2020

Hi @e_capili,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. It looks like your question got misfiled into the Bitbucket collection.

Allow me to move it over to Confluence first, and I'll be following-up with you there.

Thanks, again!

Shannon 

Stacy Johnson October 22, 2020

@Shannon S 

Hi! I clicked on update but would like to go back to the old edit option since I am finding it difficult. How do I revert back? 

David Comeau January 23, 2023

Ive just created a new page and cant find a way to highlight text and attache a file.  All my other pages are capable of this.  Very frustrating to see all kinds of dedicated buttons for junk like emojis, page width, etc,  but simply hyperlinking is crazy elusive.  Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

David Comeau January 23, 2023

New edit  tools.PNG

New edit tools above- dont like.

Old edit tools below- like.  How can I apply them to a new page?  Thanks

Olde edit tools.PNG

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events