Why am I getting different url's in Confluence (one includes a page title, the other a page id)?

DebbieR June 21, 2015

Sorry for a dumb question, but can someone explain to me why urls in Confluence differ? I don't think I'm doing anything differently.

ie: Why does this url contain the title of the Confluence page (http://skb.sterland.com/display/FRAM/Payment+Selection+Batches), yet this one contains a pageid and not the title (http://skb.sterland.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=106201209)?
Is there anyway to update the url and how?
Thanks very much,

5 answers

3 votes
William Scarce June 21, 2015

Not a dumb question and honestly you'll be trying to fix these as long as you work with Confluence. Problem here is that the page that has the padid in the URL most likely has a special character in the title. Special characters = {}&*#$(), etc. Almost anything except the dash. To fix remove (or have the author remove) the special character. Doesn't seem like a big deal, but with a pageid in the URL they won't resolve and can cause problems if/when a page moves.

Hope this helps.

William 

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 22, 2015
0 votes
DebbieR June 21, 2015

oh wow, I have no idea how many pages I have with special characters in the title, hoping it's no where near 800!. Thanks so much for your help.

0 votes
William Scarce June 21, 2015

Unfortunately there's no way to allow special characters (at least as of on prem 5.4.4) Seems to be something quirky with how Confluence was engineered. More puzzling is the fact that personal spaces have an apostrophe in the home page by default. Not sure how big your community is, but we had about 7% of our pages using special character (3500) and through education and reminders have fixed about 800 of those.

0 votes
DebbieR June 21, 2015

Thanks so much William. You were spot on. I had a backslash in the title. Is there anyway to still have special characters in the title, or they're simply a no go?

Thanks again,

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events