Why Does Pasting a URL Create a Link Now?

Jason Tolotta November 7, 2017

The following is in reference to Confluence Cloud.

For me personally, it is sort of annoying pasting a URL and automatically turning into a link.

I am unable to create a link from typing with square-brackets in a single pass, e.g.

[WEB LINK|http://www.example.com]

If I had typed [WEB LINK| then were to paste http://www.example.com the URL will automatically turn into a link and closing the square bracket would not format the entire string.

I have to either type the whole string to make it work without pasting the URL, i.e. [WEB LINK|http://www.example.com]

or I would have to unlink the URL and then close the square bracket.

Is this a bug or a feature?

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 9, 2017

Hi Jason,

This has been the behavior of Confluence for some time now.

To insert a link in Confluence and format with a description, rather than pasting the link directly into the page, you would type [ and select Insert web link from the menu that pops up. Then, you can paste your link in the Web Link field in the window that pops up.

For more information see Insert Links and Attachments.

Let us know if you have any questions about this.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 9, 2017

One more thing - if you paste a link into Confluence and it auto-formats as a link you can then also go into the link and edit it, allowing you to edit the description yourself. So this might help you in case you paste the link first.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Patrick O_Connell June 10, 2019

Hey Shannon,

I'm currently pasting partial URLs and suffering the auto-format-as-a-link thing, which is undesired.

I'm guessing that if there's a way to modify this behavior of Confluence's, you'd need to be an admin?

Thank you,
Pat O'Connell
Technical Writer
MindGeek

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
June 11, 2019

Hello Pat,

Thank you for following up on this thread.

From my investigation and testing, it is not possible to disable this behavior on either Confluence Cloud or Confluence Server, even as an admin.

In the editor, after pasting a link you can click the link and select the text Unlink that pops up. This may look different depending on your Confluence version.

Screenshot_2019-06-11_at_10_33_32.png

Another option would be to add the Noformat Macro. This is possible in Server, but is being deprecated soon in Cloud, so please be aware of that. This would be most useful for you if you are pasting a block of URLs which you do not want to link to.

I hope that clarifies things, but do let me know if you have any questions about it.

Regards,

Shannon

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
June 11, 2019

Hello Pat,

I found a few feature requests that also might interest you. They haven't been implemented yet, but you can vote on them and comment, and be updated when there is any progress.

Essentially, the Ctrl-Shift-V shortcut (Option+Shift+Cmd+V on a Mac) is what is mentioned here. It's supposed to paste without formatting, but it appears that it is being ignored in Confluence.

I had tested the keyboard shortcuts on Chrome version 75.0.3770.80, in both Cloud and Server. You can test yourself on the different web browsers you have. If you happen to notice one does work for you, please feel free to update the appropriate Feature Request above.

Let me know if you have any questions about that.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events