When using wiki markup, how do I find the name of the parameters for a given macro?

Travis Bennett October 16, 2019

I can find the macro display options in the confluence documentation, but I can't find the parameter name that corresponds to each option.  I'd like to have these names to build the macro using wiki markup.  Currently, I'm finding these by trial and error.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 22, 2019

Hello Travis,

Thank you for contacting us about this. 

I'm not sure I understand your issue correctly, but I believe you're asking how you can refer to a macro in wiki markup including its parameters that you can control. Is that correct?

On the individual documentation page of the macro, it displays the wiki markup code and parameters at the bottom. Take Livesearch Macro as an example.

Parameters

Parameters are options that you can set to control the content or format of the macro output. Where the parameter name used in Confluence storage format or wikimarkup is different to the label used in the macro browser, it will be listed below in brackets (example).

Wiki markup example

This example is useful when you want to add a macro outside the editor, for example as custom content in the sidebar, header or footer of a space.

Macro name: livesearch

Macro body: None.

{livesearch:spaceKey=DOC|size=large|placeholder=Search this space}

Can you let me know if that's what you were looking for, or if you're trying to do something else in particular?

Regards,

Shannon

Travis Bennett October 22, 2019

Hi @Shannon S ,

The livesearch example is nice and ideal, I just found the documentation for all the macros was not so well put together.

The 2 I was trying to implement in this manner were:

The documentation on these 2 macros is not nearly as descriptive as the livesearch macro when it comes to wiki format.

The Page Properties Report example was even worse since the wiki markup name is DetailsSummary.  Again, I only stumbled upon the right combination through trial and error with a bit of luck.  Since I couldn't depend on the macro documentation, I was wondering if there was an alternate resource that was more complete.  Alternatively, if the existing documentation for all the macros were updated to match the livesearch macro, that would be helpful as well.

Thanks,

Travis

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 30, 2019

Travis,

Thank you for that feedback. I hadn't noticed that myself, and I think this definitely should be improved in our documentation.

I'm going to go through the list of macros and determine which ones are missing this information, and log a single feature request to update that documentation.

This will take some time, but I will share the update request with you once complete.

Regards,

Shannon

Like Travis Bennett likes this
Travis Bennett October 30, 2019

Apologies for the Spam, I unaccepted the answer, but will accept it again once the documentation update has been completed.

Like Shannon S likes this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
November 12, 2019

Travis,

Thank you for the follow-up, no worries! I am still gathering details on this. I will share with you the feature request later this week as soon as I have the full list of macros lacking this information.

Regards,

Shannon

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
November 14, 2019

Hello Travis,

I've created the following feature requests for the documentation change:

• CONFSERVER-59119 Some macros have no documented parameters or wiki markup example
  • CONFSERVER-59121 Page Properties Macros have no wiki markup example in documentation

For the Page Properties macros, there's a set of display options that appear to be parameters. It's not clear if you would be able to use those when inserting the macro using wiki markup, if that's even possible.

Please vote and watch on those requests and you'll be updated when there is any change.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Shannon

Like Travis Bennett likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events