When I export a big chunk of my Space, why are some images missing?

Laura McWilliams December 14, 2020

I have exported a big bunch of pages from my documentation space to HTML. It doesn't look super pretty but overall it's pretty usable. However, there are a number of images that are just randomly missing. They appear as broken image tags in my browser, and navigating the local file structure verifies they are not in the attachments folder where they should be.

I can't seem to identify anything different about the missing images vs. other images that came through just fine. Even on the same page, some images will be there and others are missing.

One strange thing I noticed when looking at a page with missing images, is in the list of attachments at the bottom of the page, the image names for the missing ones look different from the ones that are there.

Instead of showing "image-XYZ-NMP.png (image/png)" it shows something like "imageDATESTRING .png?version=1&modificationdate=XYZ&cacheVersion=1&api=v2 (image/png)" But the actual image link looks similar to the other ones. There is no local file that maps to the actual link or the bogus string shown on the page.

1 answer

0 votes
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 16, 2020

Hello @Laura McWilliams!

As I understand, you are facing a situation where random image files are missing from the HTML export you just created.

I tried to replicate this behavior but was unable to. With this in mind, I would like to ask you a few questions:

1. How many pages did you export with this HTML export in Confluence?
  2. Do you have an estimate of how many images are there on a page that displays this behavior?
  3. What is the file type of the affected image files?
  4. Are the affected images inside a macro such as the Excerpt Macro?
  5. Are the affected images included from somewhere else other than the files uploaded to the page itself (giphy, drive, excerpt include macro, page include macro)?

Let us hear from you!

Laura McWilliams December 16, 2020

Yes, you are correct about the situation.

1. I count 92 html files from the export. I counted 300 .png images.

2. I have found instances of the behavior on pages with quite a few images, like 10 or so, but also on pages where there were only like 3 images.

3. All of the images are .png files.

4. No, I don't think ANY of the affected ones are inside of a macro.

5. No, all of the images were added to the page itself.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jimmy John December 22, 2021

Hi Diego, I'm experiencing a similar issue. We've set up a parallel space in confluence to an existing space. In pages in the existing spaces we use the Excerpt Includes macro for content we want to expose to customers, and call that macro in pages in the external space. We then need to export the space to HTML where we then process is and display in another framework. We have a handful of images (attachments) which, while pointed to in the html code are actually missing from the exported files. Is this a known issue? Is there any way to resolve this?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events