What is the future of Questions for Confluence?

Joe Yeakel April 7, 2017

Our organization spent a fair amount of time last year introducing users to, and driving usage of, Questions for Confluence.

The last update was in September 2016, and since that time there have been developments that raise questions about the future of Questions, but have also come without any context (that I've seen, at least) from Atlassian. Those developments are:

1. Retiring the "Questions" project in Atlassian's JIRA and moving the tickets under Confluence
  2. Moving these community boards off of Questions and to a new platform

Can someone with knowledge comment about what these changes mean for Questions for Confluence?

1 answer

1 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
Caroline Bartle
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 20, 2017

Hi Joe, my name is Caroline and I’m a product manager for Confluence.

I would firstly like to reassure you that the future of Questions for Confluence isn’t in doubt, and that our plans are to continue to support and develop the product.

I take your point that it has been a while since the last update of the product – we have been undertaking some technical improvements with the product, which have unfortunately resulted in feature updates taking a back seat for a while. We hope to refocus on features again in the coming months.

I’d like to address the developments that you raised in your comment:

1. Retiring the “Questions” project – we actually changed our process for customer-reported bugs and suggestions across all products. The details of this are outlined here. As part of this change, we moved issues related to Questions to live under Confluence. Our reason for doing this was solely to streamline the review and escalation process on our end, and isn't a reflection of Questions being deprioritised.
  2. Moving the community boards – the decision to move Atlassian Community to a new platform was the result of the broadening requirements of the Community. That is, the need for the Community site to encompass more than Q&A, and also to offer things like user-generated articles, product-specific landing pages and topical themes, which aren’t currently part of the feature set of Questions.

Hopefully that helps to clarifies things, but please feel free to email me directly (cbartle @ atlassian.com) if you would like to provide feedback or request features for Questions.

Nathanael Motz November 5, 2019

Hi @Caroline Bartle. Are you still around? It's two and half years on since you answered this question and I'm curious how you would answer it now? I haven't seen or heard much about the future of Questions lately. There haven't been any new features in a long time. I came to Community tonight because I have this same question.

Like Lorelei Wilder likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events