Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewing only restricted page(s)

Gerald Hochegger March 28, 2017

I'm having big problems with the new page restrictions form introduced in confluence 5.9

Before you have seperate

• Restrict Viewing
  • Restrict Editing

permissions.

Now we have

• No restriction
  • Editing restricted
  • Viewing and Editing restricted

When selecting "Viewing and Editing" you are automatically added and you can't remove yourself.

This has the effect this page is now only editable by you, if you don't add other users also -and I don't want to manually add all other possible users !

Before 5.9 if an additional user was added to the space, he could automatically edit all pages he was able to view (given there are no additional restrictions on a page)

Now I've to search all "Viewing and Editing" restricted pages and manually add this new user - this is a major downside for me.

How can I bring back the better "before 5.9" behavior - with separately Restrict Viewing and Restrict Editing options ?

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 28, 2017

One thing that might help is generally speaking restrictions should be given to groups. Sure, you can add individual users, but it is WAY easier to manage as groups.

0 votes

Yes groups are way to go.

In the meantime I figured out how "view" permissions are displayed in the new restriction form:

I added a "view" group restriction with Bob Swifts confluence cli and checked the restriction display in confluence - I (as the user who executed the cli) and the group both were added as "Can view and edit"

And this is correct - the group has editing permission (only viewing was restricted)

So there is no difference to the before 5.9 behavior - only naming is somewhat misleading.

If I want to restrict viewing of a page and subpages to group, which has no editing capabilities in the space, I select the group in "Viewing and Editing restricted" and this sets only a view restriction on the top level page.

The effect is the same - cli or gui - subpages are not accessible to an outside user.

Still I found the pre 5.9 notation easier to understand.

Greetings

And there is a difference between cli an gui.

cli sets only a view permission a restricted page

• "View","group"

If I store the restrictions within the confluence gui - I get four permissions

• "View","group"
  • "View","user"
  • "Edit","group"
  • "Edit","user"

The last three permission are not necessary - I want the pre 5.9 behavior back.

Greetings

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events