Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video files do not play on Windows PC

Nariman Riahi April 16, 2012

I have 3 video files of mp4 format. I attached them to the Wiki page and add a link to them from an image. This is thew wiki markup: [!logo.png!|^AllHands.mp4|]

When user clicks on image the video does not play in Windows. Windows media player launches and give an error: Windows Media Player encountered a problem while downoading the file.

If I download the file to the WIndows PC and doubl click it it will play fine. So I am thinking it has something to do with the Wiki page and mim type.

On Mac the video plays fine in the browser.

I have tried converting this video into WMV format and it still does not play in Windows.

Is there a solution that will work on both Windows and Mac?

THanks

4 answers

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 17, 2012

Which browser and not warnings for missing plugins?

0 votes
Nariman Riahi April 17, 2012

I tried {multimedia:name=AllHands.mp4}

When page loads nothing displays in the rectangle that is supposed to be the video. The page is just not rendering the video at all.

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 17, 2012

Instead of giving a link to download the attachment, how about directly embedding the video as explained here?

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Embedding+Multimedia+Content

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 17, 2012

I've run into this. I'm afraid it's nothing to do with mime type or the stuff that the server is giving the client - that's the same for all clients, and the fault is entirely on the windows machine.

You could try different browsers in windows to narrow down the config error - if it works in Chrome but not IE for example, you know the fault is in IE. In fact, it's quite unlikely to be an OS problem, it's almost certainly the browser side.

Give it a shot with a different browser (and, try running the browser on a command line - that might give you useful logging in the background) and let us know what you've tried and what you got.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events