Using template variable after page the page is created

Olivier Paquette February 22, 2021

Hi,

My goal here is to create a template and to add it some drop-down list, for the user to select the good properties.

In my template, I managed to add the variables I want, and when I create a new page from this template, I see that I can fill my variables, but only at the creation step.

My problem is that those information has to be entered later on (not at the creation of the page, because they are not known at this step).

So, the user pushes the "Create" button, fill his preliminary infos, but is not able to use the variable because the page has already been created.

So, how can a user enter the variable value later on, on an already existing page?

Thanks,

Olivier

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 26, 2021

Hello Olivier,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community. It's nice to have you!

Templates in Confluence can only create new pages, so it's impossible to modify an existing page this way. There was a request for this in the past that has since been closed. The response was that we don't have plans for templates to work this way, unfortunately.

There's another popular feature request that I think might be more relevant here, which is to have variables in Confluence globally outside of the new page templates:

If you're interested in this feature, you can log in from the top right of the feature request page, and once you log in, click vote for this issue

Thank you and take care,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events