Using markdown tables

Viewing page 2 of 2

38 answers

0 votes
Michal Klucz February 13, 2024

are we still lost in 2024?

0 votes
Deleted user September 30, 2020

The docs on this are extremely confusing and misleading. This has to be fixed Atlassian.

0 votes
Sean Smith June 4, 2020

I tweeted the founders about this. Maybe others can hit some social media channels to get some attention? 

@mcannonbrookes @brooksy
@scottfarkas

0 votes
Dima Kankalovich June 2, 2020

I swear, I will never ever recommend or willingly use Confluence until you fix Markdown support.

Reza June 3, 2020

I took the same decision a while back. Using Git and Markdown is the way to go. The tooling, integration and flexibility around it is way better than Confluence’s wobbly interface and features that are there but never work as advertised.

I think people (companies) are still using it because they don’t know better. I have been there too. I suggest that you do a little research and see what fits your teams workflow and tools. There are a ton of alternatives out there. I don’t think you will ever look back whatever you choose. 

Dima Kankalovich June 3, 2020

I am actually already using markdown in a git repo, arranged in a doc suite via `mkdocs` (but there is actually plenty of beautiful frameworks for documentation - both generic and specialized). Markdown supports 95% of what you need to write decent docs on a daily basis. Why Atlassian skips on Markdown support is just beyond me. 

The reason why I ended up being here, is that I hoped to establish some sort of automatic sync from git repo .md files to Confluence - some management people still use Confluence. Well, it was a good idea, in theory, didn't worked that well in practice. 

0 votes
Dima Kankalovich June 2, 2020

Came to the party to express my frustration with how BAAAAD markdown support is.

Not only these poor tables but also code blocks won't work!

This really ruins the experience, I just don't understand why won't you fix it, it shouldn't be that hard.

0 votes
jpmigue November 28, 2019

So I type this into Confluence:

| Column 1 | Column 2 |
| -----------| ----------- |
| Row 1,1 | Row 2,1 |

And I get exactly that displayed.

Copy and paste into a vi editor and show special characters and I get this:

| Column 1 | Column 2 |$
$
| -----------| ----------- |$
$
| Row 1,1 | Row 2,1 |$

The $ is line termination, as you can see I have null lines between my markdown. Remove these lines, paste back into Confluence and I get my table.

Robert Graf January 6, 2020

I'm sorry, but when I

1) create a page

2) Select insert markup and choose "Markdown"

3) Type the text (your from above) into the left window:

| Column1 | Column2 |
| ------- | ------- |
| Row1 | Row2 |

then the right preview windows shows this

| Column1 | Column2 | | ------- | ------- | | Row1 | Row2 |

4) Select insert markup but choose "Confluence wiki"

5) Type in the same text

| Column1 | Column2 |
| ------- | ------- |
| Row1 | Row2 |

and the preview shows a nice confluence table.

From "Markdown" it doesn't work - and this should be done by Atlassian!

Carl Dichter February 23, 2020

Yes, the Markdown Macro is broken again I need it now, and it is still not working today. 

Also, it isn't very wiki (quick for adding formatted content) to have to use a menu to add a macro to understand Markdown. Being forced to use Markdown at all is because you can't handle pasted tables from other sources.

Is anyone at Confluence listening?

0 votes
jpmigue November 28, 2019

When I copy and pasted my table markdown into a vi like editor, I could see that there were null lines between my item lines. I removed these, pasted back into Confluence and my table was created. The issue appears to be how Confluence treats carriage returns.

Robert Graf November 28, 2019

What are null lines?

Just retested with Confluence 6.15.9 and copied a Markdown example from UltraEdit as Markup inserted with "Markdown" (not Confluence wiki) with LF and CR/LF (ISO-8859-1) and both resulted in one long line (header, data, column separaters).

Í can't follow you how it should work.

0 votes
surjya24 September 20, 2019

Bump!  Please how hard it is to support tables??????

0 votes
Kev September 17, 2019

Bump!

0 votes
jenei.david July 10, 2019

Bump!

-- NORMAL --

0 votes
wei wei July 3, 2019

shame

0 votes
Dustin William Smith June 14, 2019

I guess this company doesn't listen to all the frustration and requests to have markdown support work for all aspects including tables.

0 votes
skilly June 10, 2019

*Bump* again.
Fail!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events